if an A/C is low on freon, does it use more energy or not?

if an A/C is low on freon, does it use more energy or not?

obviously it doesn;t get as cold, so it has to run longer

but is the power demand the same, or less?

is the total energy used the same, or less, or more?

wle.

Reply to
wle

More because efficiency drops.

--

Reply to
dpb

oh good answer i asked on 'yahoo answers' and i got every answer possible more, less, the same

wle

Reply to
wle

=46rom what I remember, I had my CAC charged with freon a few years ago while an Amprobe was hooked up to the compressor, and I remeber seeing the current draw go up slighty as the freon was being pumped in, probably due to the added pressure from the freon the compressor had to push.

Reply to
Mikepier

oh wait this makes it sound like it could be using less power.. wle.

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Mikepier Date: May 30, 12:39 pm Subject: if an A/C is low on freon, does it use more energy or not? To: alt.home.repair

From what I remember, I had my CAC charged with freon a few years ago while an Amprobe was hooked up to the compressor, and I remeber seeing the current draw go up slighty as the freon was being pumped in, probably due to the added pressure from the freon the compressor had to push.

Reply to
wle

But the efficiency isn't as good...don't you think if the overall efficiency were better the manufacturer would design it to run there?

--

Reply to
dpb

No, because when it is slightly undercharged, the suction pressure is less, lowering the temperature at the evaporator. It runs quite cold for a while, then ices over. It needs to run with the evaporator at the design temperature.

Reply to
DT

That's what I was alluding to...

Reply to
dpb

It'll work harder while it's running, but not run as long.

Reply to
CJT

That's logic that stands the test of time. Well done, sir.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

e quoted text -

what?that makes it sound like it;s better to run low on freon

that can;t be right

how can it not run as long? it won;t be getting as cold, it has to run longer..

wle

Reply to
wle

I have retired from the field and I can tell you that when your system runs low on refrigerant, it cost you more. When the system loses charge you now lose the size. I mean if you are using a 3-ton system and when the system loses charge, you now are using a 2 to 2.5-ton system to cool the same house.

Reply to
Moe Jones

quoted text -

When it's charged, it'll work harder while running, but not run as long for the same cooling. The cumulative energy will be less.

Reply to
CJT