if an A/C is low on freon, does it use more energy or not?

if an A/C is low on freon, does it use more energy or not?
obviously it doesn;t get as cold, so it has to run longer
but is the power demand the same, or less?
is the total energy used the same, or less, or more?
wle.
wle wrote:

More because efficiency drops.

oh good answer i asked on 'yahoo answers' and i got every answer possible more, less, the same
wle

From what I remember, I had my CAC charged with freon a few years ago while an Amprobe was hooked up to the compressor, and I remeber seeing the current draw go up slighty as the freon was being pumped in, probably due to the added pressure from the freon the compressor had to push.
oh wait this makes it sound like it could be using less power.. wle.