If a thread takes months, is it better to stay on the same thread?

dadiOH wrote, on Sun, 12 Oct 2014 05:53:55 -0400:

I don't use any of the buttons as I have them all hidden (to save real estate on the GUI) but it does have a "next unread" but I never use it.

What I do is "cherry pick" the threads to read, and then, when I exit a newsgroup, it automagically marks everything read (even if I didn't read it).

Then, when I come back in, it shows the new threads in bold, and the new posts in old threads show up with a +n where the n is the number of new posts to that thread since I last read it.

So, again, I cherry pick, but, usually only from the bolded (i.e., brand new) posts or threads.

Reply to
Danny D.

"ChairMan" wrote in news:gdj_v.357475$ snipped-for-privacy@fx07.iad:

+3
Reply to
Zaky Waky

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 18:33:21 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D." wrote in

I prefer sticking with the same thread so I can have everything related to that thread in the same place.

Reply to
CRNG

I do this because this group often has threads that go on for months, and new threads have forced one of those threads off the screeen.

Another thing I could do is de-expand all threads with no unread posts. Then more threads fit on the screen and the 3 or 4 screens above it (in your case, below it). And when a new post arrives in one of those threads, it expands the thread and is very noticeable and easy to find. But I don't like doing that for some reason, so instead, I display the posts chronlogically, and when I don't understaned the context, highlight the post in question and resort by thread.

Even if you want to go back and re-read something? Or think you might want want to reply to something? Anyhow, I can mark every post in a thread read, but with Agent, I don't think there is no way to mark a thread as read** Which is fine because if a new post comes, I want to notice it. **One can Ignore a thread, which is fine sometimes, but unfortunately it just doesn't dl posts in that thread anymore, and sometimes, with thread drift, I want to see the headers for a later posts.

Yes, it's hard to post with others in mind, because many people read differently from my way too.

Reply to
micky

micky wrote, on Sun, 12 Oct 2014 13:57:14 -0400:

It *is* a pain if I'm specifically *looking* for a post within a thread. In generaly, I go to google.groups and do a search to find stuff that I know was in a specific thread.

With Pan, you can mark an entire thread as read, or an article, but, mine is set up, by default, to mark *every* thread as read whenever I *exit* the newsgroup.

So, my use model is to go in, and see what's new, and then leave, where the vast majority of threads and articles go unread, but, when I leave, they're *all* marked read, so that the next time I go in, only the new stuff is bolded.

I use that a lot, to either ignore a thread or to ignore any posts by someone specifically. (That keeps me out of arguments.)

I think Pan is similar in that once a thread is ignored, it's gone forever (unless we wipe out the Pan directory and start anew).

Reply to
Danny D.

CRNG wrote, on Sun, 12 Oct 2014 07:59:59 -0500:

I'll update the original thread. Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
Danny D.

FWIW Agent keeps the headers that had been dl'd before Ignoring, and it keeps the bodies for those headers too, if they were dl'd. But everything that follows is ignored.

Reply to
micky

Instead of trying to read hundreds of posts, it would be much easier to search for a paticular problem, and get the answer much faster. Subject lines define the search first.

Greg

Reply to
gregz