If a contractor breaks a tool who pays?

Thanks for the responses guys. We've only hired a contractor once before so I wasn't really too sure about this and was leaning towards not having to pay for the tool but wanted to be more sure before disputing it with the contractor.

This gets better though. He was cutting a rebar in cement and had to rent a tool to do so. He also needed to buy the blades which he said I'd have to pay for since he bought them for that only. I don't mind this as its 9.00 and can understand this. He also said that something broke on the tool and he was charged a 25.00 fee when he returned the item.

Well it just so happens that he left (of all things) the rental agreement with the tool place close to here after he was done yesterday on the lawn. I picked it up and read it and it says nothing about any damages and there was a rental fee of 40.00 for the cutter and 25.00 for something else. I suspected he wasn't aware of the 25.00 charge for renting this tool and tried to pass it on to me. After my wife called the tool rental place today they said nothing was damaged and that the 25.00 charge is an additional piece that was needed for the primary tool rental.

So now it looks like we have hired a dishonest contractor. He's finishing up today and I'll post the outcome back here.

Too bad for him because we still need a suspended ceiling and a room built in the basement and would've more than likely used him again.

Thanks for all the advice.

Reply to
Vidkid72

He also said that something broke on the tool and

He rented it, not you. If he was too stupid or cheap to take the damage waiver, then he should have paid the damages, of which there were none, anyway.

I have rented cars and tools, and I believe the damage waiver is cheap and easy any way you go despite people who will say they are unnecessary and that they already have enough insurance. I take it every time, because you just walk away pretty much no matter what happens.

Did you see, "Meet the Fokkers"? A funny situation about not taking the insurance is in the movie.

Sounds like this guy would not be a candidate for more work, and I would explain that making a few bucks on this job has cost him a bigger one. But it sounds like he won't care anyway.

Well, this gives you more experience to handle the next situation. Good luck. Welcome to home repair.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

This is Turtle.

i just did a job for you on your HVAC system for a cost of $135.00 and when I was writting up the invoice for you to sign and pay me. I broke my Rolls Royce ink pen and I tell you your going to have to pay for my ink pen breakage of a cost of $14,000.00.

Will you go for that ?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE