Idler Pulley on dryer

In reading the www.repairclinic.com website, which I believe a frequent poster here runs, it seems a very loud squealing noise might be caused by a problem with the idler pulley on my electric dryer. The noise gets worse near the end of the cycle, and is quite loud and high pitched. The glides were replaced about 6 months ago I guess. Does this sound like the right diagnosis and if so, is it a DIY repair? The dryer dries loads well, just too noisy. It's a 3 yr old GE electric extra large capacity dryer.
-- Melissa Please remove (yourshoes) to reply by email
I've lubed a bunch of these. I don't know your skill level, so I can't comment if it's DIY. Sounds like a good diagnosis.
One tensioner pulley, and two idlers.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Model#? Above does little to ID the dryer.
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.

Drum supports ( drum bearing, roller wheels, glides ), idler pulley, motor are common noise makers on many dryers.
I had a 15 year old Kenmore that squealed horribly.
I replaced the idler wheels AND the steel stub shafts that they rode on. The sharts were very slightly worn & IMO were contribtuing to the problem.
The unit is still working fine (only a few loads per week at the shop)
If you'r at all handy you can do this yourself, get the repair manual (~$10).
If you have helper it would even be easier
Unplug the machine, take digital photos as you disaasemble
cheers Bob
BobK207 wrote:

The dryer I have is a GE model DVL223EA0WW, 3 yr old electric dryer. I replaced the glides a few months ago using the instructions from Jeff's website, and that went well. Would replacing the idler pulley be a job that is comparable in difficulty? I can read and follow instructions just fine, but if the instructions aren't very clear I get lost in all the parts and pieces.
Thanks, Melissa
yourshoes wrote:

Hi,
A Frigidaire built GE dryer.

Easier!
http://tinyurl.com/bt2gm Idler pulley and bracket.
This can be changed from the back of the dryer.....remove power.....remove the small access panal at the back bottom to R&R the idler pulley. This is how the belt should look around the pulley....
http://www.applianceaid.com/images/ldrwh-belt-thread.jpg
Maybe the stuff they put on automobile belts would quiet your drier also.
borgunit wrote:

Hi,
Usually that stuff attacks dust and gets all gunked up :(