Idiot Walmart Employees in Paint Dept.

Page 2 of 3

Man, ain't that the truth.
Back when Sam Walton was alive, most of the stuff they sold was made here in the U.S., and a good bit of what wasn't came from Canada and Mexico. Fine with me -- if you can't buy at home, buy from your next-door neighbor, right?
Now, it's getting damn hard to find anything that was made here. Seems like a good half of what they sell comes from Communist China.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

The place started going to hell about the time Sam hit the grave.
--
Postulate a group whose intent is to destroy the United States from within
via anarchy and bankruptcy. The actions of the United States Congress are
wrote in message

Irregularly too!
Doing roofing job. Needed 26sq of Arch shingles. Checked out HD. Went to building supply http://www.gregorysupply.com a few miles away. Couple of bucks cheaper per bundle for same exact product and they delivered them with a boom truck for $10 fuel surcharge only.
Saw a guy at HD the other day buying 13 sq and taking them with him. HD guy was standing right there writing down his order or I would have said something. It was "real fun" unloading my 80 bundles from the pallet on the boom. I'm wondering how the guy at HD got his up on the roof?! Maybe he saw the Red Green episode where Red builds a forklift using a pair of skis, extension ladder, duct tape and powers it with the truck winch.

Maybe next time you should ask Walmart to pay the help a decent wage - maybe then you won't have to resort to spam.

And this was your mistake. WHY would you go to Walmart for contruction materials? All you are doing is feeding the ignorance and putting the folks who DO know what they're doing out of business.
snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote in news:ho2p9352htsdb2e5bmankplba5nr469hpm@ 4ax.com:

They spoke English???

You sound like my know it all, rude brother-in-law. Bob-tx
snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote:

Someone estimated over a million quarter-inch drill bits are sold each year. Funny thing is, though, no one WANTED a quarter-inch drill bit - what they wanted was a quarter-inch HOLE.
Now you didn't want silicone caulk, you wanted the leaks to stop. Had you simply asked for silicone caulk (without the convoluted, but uninteresting, story), the discussion would have been much simpler.
That's why you should buy hardware at a real hardware store, to keep them in business for when you need quality and service.
Recently I was picking up small parts for a couple of projects at once. Walking through the plumbing department I had a couple of galvanized pipe fittings and a roll of yellow gas-grade Teflon tape in my hand.
As I walked by the guy stocking the shelves, without being asked, he politely asked, "Excuse me, but were you going to use those fittings for gas?"
As it happened, no, the fittings were for a garden faucet I was moving and the tape was for an air compressor line I was relocating. But the guy who stocks the shelves in the plumbing department knew and cared enough to check when he glanced up and saw the two together in my hand.
Besides that, I can pay less attention when shopping there, because they don't stock crap.
Their prices are usually 5-10% higher than the big borg stores for comparable items. But well worth it.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/

I don't get it.?

Galvanized pipe and fittings are for water, not gas.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Or more specifically for OP if indeed didn't know, galvanized is not used for gas because impurities in natural gas can react negatively w/ the zinc.

That's an old wives(husbands) tale.This used to be the case years ago when the zinc coating would flake off, but methods of bonding have improved over the years. Galvanized sched. 40 pipe is not only approved but is recommended for natural gas use, specially outdoors and/or underground,in most juridictions.The threads should be coated with pipe paste to protect them as the galvanizing has been cut off during the threading process. Copper, plastic and flexible stainless steel are also used for NG. Black pipe's main advantage over the others is that it is cheaper. Only use mallable fittings, not cast and no close nipples or threaded bushings.

Better read up http://www.mesacounty.us/building/res_plumbing.htm 6. Galvanized coated pipe is not deemed adequate coating for underground use.
http://www.acehardware.com/sm-learn-about-pipes-fittings-and-valves--bg-1267591.html Galvanized pipe is commonly used for water systems, black pipe for manufactured and natural gas. Galvanized pipe should never be used for gas installations. Plumbing codes in many areas require that black pipe, especially that used underground, be coated and wrapped.
Our local inspect still does not allow galvanized for any gas. That varies by jurisdiction.
wrote in message

http://www.acehardware.com/sm-learn-about-pipes-fittings-and-valves--bg-1267591.html
One of us has "read up"
From YOUR first link
2. Shall be standard weight wrought iron or steel (galvanized or black), yellow brass (containing not more than 75% copper) or internally tinned or equivalently treated copper of iron pipe size. http://www.pgworks.com/documents/piping%20specs.pdf 1.4.2 Pipe exposed to the weather must be properly sized. Galvanized pipe or protectively coated wrought iron or steel pipe shall be used. http://www.uniongas.com/business/channel/codeclarification.pdf Due to the changes in natural gas content and plumbing practices, it was decided that "galvanized" pipe and fittings is now acceptable for use with natural gas if a person wishes to use it.
Who do you believe True hardware or Union Gas?

You ignored and left out

In the first post (see what I left above for your reference) you stated galvanized is recommended for underground. This specifically states that it is not acceptable. Read what you wrote, read what was posted in the link that you referenced. See the contradiction?
Furthermore, I referenced Ace Hardware. Why are you bringing True Value into this? Having reading comprehension problems?
wrote in message

Excuse me Edwin, you did reference Ace Hardware and not True Value, I did have a reading comprehension problem with that, I am not sure that matters much but I think I would take the word of a utility authority such as Union Gas over ANY hardware store chain regarding gas code regulations, wouldn't you?
I also said that galvanized pipe is prefered over black pipe for underground installation , and left out the fact that ALL underground pipe , including galvanized ,MUST be coated and wrapped except approved plastic. I recently installed 130ft. of 1" galvanized sched.40 pipe across a flat roof on a commercial building and had it approved and passed by local inspector as I am a Class 1 gas fitter. Are you?
Just in case you didn't check the reference:
Use of galvanized pipe in a natural gas piping system Code Clarification procedures issue date 1998-07 supercedes page issue date approved by section reference 01.9
QUESTION The new Code no longer specifically bans the use of galvanized piping in a natural gas system. By the Code silence on the use of it, is it now acceptable?
ANSWER Refer to Clause 5.2.1 in the Ontario Gas Utilisation Code. Galvanized pipe is steel, hot-dipped, zinc coated, welded and seamless pipe which complies with the ASTM A53 Standard. Black pipe is actually galvanized pipe that is treated with a black coating but still complies with the ASTM A53 Standard. In the past, the high sulphur and moisture content in the gas caused a vapour to form which was corrosive to the galvanised coating resulting in flaking off of the coating which plugged gas valves. Gas supplies are now dried and processed in a manner that removes 95% or more of the moisture and sulphur content. Also, at one time prior to the use of copper tubing, all water piping was galvanized pipe, which after installation could become confused with galvanized natural gas piping. Due to the changes in natural gas content and plumbing practices, it was decided that "galvanized" pipe and fittings is now acceptable for use with natural gas if a person wishes to use it.

No, I'd take the word of the local inspector. In the town where our factory is, galvanized is still not allowed. Easier to use black pipe than to try and argue with him.

That is what I questioned. That is why I referenced

From your statement it is easy to infer galvanized is all that is needed underground. We both know that it is not.

No, I hire one as needed. That is not always a good thing. I certainly hope you are better than the first one I used.
When I had a boiler installed, the pipefitters were from the next state and did not have a local gasfitters license. I had to hire a gasfitter. What a joke. He had the plant shut down for four hours to thread a 4" pipe that the other guys could have cut and welded in 15 minutes. He had the right piece of paper to satisfy the inspector though. Fortunately, I've since found a good one.
kool wrote:

No, it's code in many places and was based on corrosion tests/results.
There's a fairly recent paper on it on the web that confirms some issues still (mostly w/ imported LNG) that I looked at not very long ago but I'm not interested enough to dig it up again at the moment.
On Jul 17, 5:47 am, snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote:

Having spent a number of years in retail, working for a couple different retailers, I can tell you the problem is not the employees. They are doing the best job they can for the pay they get and the training they (don't) receive.
Retail corporation see only one thing: $$$. Our culture's pay-at-the- pump mentality (I go in, get what I want, and leave with a minimum of interaction) has spread such that the service industry thinks we customers don't want help anywhere, anytime, therefore knowledgeable sales people are an undue burden on the profit margin. They see no benefit in paying a reasonably-sized, well-trained sales staff a decent wage (or commission) because they believe customers don't want help, they just want cheap.
And the fact that stores like Wal-Mart are growing while stores like Nordstrom, Men's Wearhouse and others with a reputation for high- quality customer service just proves corporations' point. In fact, I will hazard a guess that the fact you went to Wal-Mart rather than a hardware store (real or Lowe's Depot) proves the point as well.
You want customer service (and you needed customer service since the store didn't have what you were looking for), you gotta go to a store where people are paid to know their business. And those are increasingly harder to find.