Identifying ABS plastic components?

Hi, I need to do a repair on an ABS garage door. I found some info on the Net explaining that ABS plastic could be dissolved in cellulose thinners to produce a paste for building up broken parts. Problem is how can I tell if a potentially suitable plastic item for dissolving is actually made of ABS. Is there some king of identifying test I can do?
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills
Geoff Mills wrote:

You would probably be better off looking for a repair kit for the ABS door. Maybe the manufacturer could recommend one. Commercial ABS materials are normally not pure polymer but contain a variety of fillers and other chemicals, so in my opinion, it would be hit or miss.
Frank

Thanks Frank, I understand your point but I was looking for the easy option. I ended up dissolving a couple of dozen floppy disk outer casings in Acetone, then applying the resulting paste in combination with glass fibre matting. It worked out fine.
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills

Good. I suspect the clear cases are plain old polystyrene but if it worked, what the heck ;) Frank