Ideas to remove 50-year old 2-inch diamater galvanized "nipple" under kitchen sink

Not really. The epoxy bond to the steel pipe will be very weak. It will easily break loose as soon as you turn it.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Well. I sure hope so. Because It's all epoxied in now!

For better or for worse, what I did was remove all the plastic pipe to the kitchen sinks and garbage disposal and buy all new plastic pipe.

I then cleaned up the half-inch of corroded thread on the nipple that was sticking out of the cabinet horizontally with a wire brush.

It was difficult to keep dry but I splashed alcohol and then ether on the pipe (which was a mistake from the standpoint of fumes - but that's what I did).

With the corroded nipple as dry as could be, I epoxied it and the plastic and screwed/pushed the plastic on (it screwed but really I was pushing it on more than screwing it on).

As extra insurance, I covered the entire outside of the joint with pipe dope where the plastic met the threads.

So far ... it's sealed.

I will find out when/if I have to remove it how easily it is to break the bond between 2-part epoxy and plastic and galvanized steel. :)

Thanks for all your wonderful advice!

Reply to
Harold Lathom

? "Harold Lathom" wrote

Glad you have resolution. Much better than taking out the nipple.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski