Ideas on killing ants.

Page 2 of 2

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 13:54:10 -0700 (PDT), Molly Brown

I bet they just stopped eating the bait in those traps. Try to figure out what they are eating now and bait them with that. About 12-15 parts foodstuff to 1 part boric acid will do the trick. I went through several things until they were finally gone.

I've used Terro with very high effectiveness it's a syrup-like clear liquid - I think it has Borax and sugar in it.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You can't just throw bait down anywhere and expect the ants to lap it up. If you watch ants, you will see they follow a (scent) trail, so place the bait near their trail.
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 09:15:26 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

That is why I said you figure out what they are eating and bait them with that. The scouts will go looking for what they have been eating and there will be a new trail from there very quickly. Ants can get very selective after being baited for a while. I haven't seen a sugar ant around here for years so sweet baits like Terrio, Amdro etc are useless. The good news is a grand kid can leave a gum drop on the floor and the ants won't bother it.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

If ants don't take to Terro alone quickly, I get fatty/greasy food to put the Terro on (per label instructions). Works for me.
Amdro is fantastic for fire ants....pretty cool to watch them go for the bait, which happens quickly. One needs to take care not to disturb the nest with it or they will avoid it. Also needs to be no rain for a day or two. Disturbing any ant nest or trail is likely to cause them to avoid bait....carpenter ants go running for the hills with the babies when their nests are disturbed.
I've had good results with liquid ant bait. From www.gardensalive.com
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus