ideas for nut/bolt storage

Page 2 of 2
Plano makes some great products for storing items like that. Here is their web site
http://www.planomolding.com /
On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 21:12:28 -0500, "Jeff Guay"

I store my nuts in my pants, my washers in the laundry room, and my bolts bolted so now they're gone. :)

A paint roller tray. Makes sorting though all the misc stuff easy.
I just throw them in coffee cans. Yea, I have to look through a lot of cans when I need something but it is rare that I need to and I don't have to take up a lot of space that is required to sort them out properly.

On 12/5/2004 7:16 PM US(ET), GaryH took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I keep all my extra screws, bolts, nuts, and fasteners all mixed up in a large 4 pound cookie tin. About every hundred years, I sort them into separate containers. The hundred years is not up yet.

One can empty a can into the paint roller pan, sort through the stuff till you find something, then dump the stuff back into the coffee can.
And one still has the pan for painting when needed.
Not being a coffee drinker limits my options. <G>

If you buy blank CDs or DVDs in 50 or 100 stacks the container makes a great container. Cut the spindle off the bottom and turn them upside down. They stack nice.
If you want to get serious about storage and have an available 36" X 18" footprint of floor space, then get an industrial shelving unit.
Make sure it's heavy duty and has about 10 -12 shelves. Space the lower 8-10 shelves about 6" apart. Space the upper shelves about 12" apart.
Now buy a case of cardboard bin boxes and a case of dividers.
Put it all together and you should have about 100 pull out bins with each one having seperate compartments. It'll store a lifetime supply of small hardware, plumbing, electrical parts, spray paint, car parts, etc and everything will be easy to find.
Shelving units aren't that expensive if you shop around. Find a supplier that sells used warehouse/industrial supplies.
On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 21:12:28 -0500, "Jeff Guay"

Or you can just do this: Gather up all those old nick nack bolts, nuts, screws, washers, pins, etc. Now bring the garbage can near and throw all that old shit away. Next time you do a project go out and get new nuts and bolts. When you are finished with the project, throw away all the extra new nuts and bolts. Do NOT keep more junk. Im sure you have enough now. Bubba

And the following week, usually on a night after the stores are closed, you break something and need that odd sized bolt you tossed. My collection of saved (but sorted or otherwise reasonably neatly stored) old stuff saved my ass a couple of times.
wrote in message

Just got to weigh the utility of having the right one when you need it during off hours vs. the cost of keeping that stuff around -space, organizing, keeping it from rusting, etc. -Dan
Dan Hall wrote:

I already got it, don't have to go to town to get more, don't have to pay any more rent to put another one on the shelf and since it's all in the barn and/or shop it's dry so it doesn't rust. A little organization up front does help. I can simply not imagine not having a pretty complete supply of fasteners of all types at hand. (Of course I'm one of the ones who saves and re-uses old nails, too... Grandpa (and Dad) would turn in their graves if I didn't... :) )
If I need to do some spray painting I don't need to run to the store. If I decide to change oil, I can grap an oil filter and oil that I bought on sale. If a pipe breaks, I can make a repair without hunting down parts. If I need some tape or a tie wrap I can find one in less then 5 seconds. If a hose is leaking, I can dig out a hose clamp and/or washer without leaving the house.
I think you get the idea.
My storage unit has been invaluable and I'm not throwing away my junk when I can organize, store, and use it.

You must have lots of money. Could I borrow (I mean have) some?
On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 22:32:21 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Lets just say Im not poor. My time is valuable. I dont have time to sort through 10 - 4lb coffe cans looking for that one special thumb tack or that one 1-5/8 long counter sunk phillips head wood screw. I dont have a weekend to spare to make a 40+ row of baby jars hanging from something in my basement and then spending all that time to sort all that shit in all those damn jars. Id much rather spend my time golfing, walking, riding bikes, coaching, doing things with my kids and family. Screws, nuts and bolts are not on the tops of my list. Bubba
But it sounds like you do like to forgo golf, walking, etc and spend hours of time and gas going to hardware stores hunting down small hardware items that you previously threw away.

Nope, but thaks for thinking about me. "FOURRRRRRRR" Bubba

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 21:12:28 -0500, "Jeff Guay"

Ace Hardware. Four blocks away and easy to find what I need, I toss all the rest out. :)
Jeff
Jeff Cochran wrote:

Send the overage to me, I'll save it... :)
It's 5+ miles to town, Ace is <EXPENSIVE>, plus all the rest of the hassle of not just going to the shop and getting what's needed. Then, if the supply is low, put it on "the list" and replenish next time <are> in town...
Jeff Guay wrote:

Bought about 50 bread loaf baking pans from the bakery when they updated their ovens years ago...nice, four one-pound loaf trays with a frame around the outside to keep them together. Built several sets of shelving racks to hold them. Could do something very similar with either shop-built drawers or either cardboard or plastic bins...
Also keep a commercial assortment rack of machine bolts in both english and metric sizes --these came with wall-hung storage units of their own.