ideas for nut/bolt storage

Great idea. Around here I buy my eggs in clear cartons. Thanks for the tip

Reply to
JD

Just got to weigh the utility of having the right one when you need it during off hours vs. the cost of keeping that stuff around -space, organizing, keeping it from rusting, etc. -Dan

Reply to
Dan Hall

Reply to
GaryH

If I need to do some spray painting I don't need to run to the store. If I decide to change oil, I can grap an oil filter and oil that I bought on sale. If a pipe breaks, I can make a repair without hunting down parts. If I need some tape or a tie wrap I can find one in less then 5 seconds. If a hose is leaking, I can dig out a hose clamp and/or washer without leaving the house.

I think you get the idea.

My storage unit has been invaluable and I'm not throwing away my junk when I can organize, store, and use it.

Reply to
davefr

On 12/5/2004 7:16 PM US(ET), GaryH took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I keep all my extra screws, bolts, nuts, and fasteners all mixed up in a large 4 pound cookie tin. About every hundred years, I sort them into separate containers. The hundred years is not up yet.

Reply to
willshak

One can empty a can into the paint roller pan, sort through the stuff till you find something, then dump the stuff back into the coffee can.

And one still has the pan for painting when needed.

Not being a coffee drinker limits my options.

Reply to
John Hines

If you buy blank CDs or DVDs in 50 or 100 stacks the container makes a great container. Cut the spindle off the bottom and turn them upside down. They stack nice.

Reply to
Gino

You must have lots of money. Could I borrow (I mean have) some?

Reply to
nospam

Glad I could help!

Reply to
HL

Lets just say Im not poor. My time is valuable. I dont have time to sort through 10 - 4lb coffe cans looking for that one special thumb tack or that one 1-5/8 long counter sunk phillips head wood screw. I dont have a weekend to spare to make a 40+ row of baby jars hanging from something in my basement and then spending all that time to sort all that shit in all those damn jars. Id much rather spend my time golfing, walking, riding bikes, coaching, doing things with my kids and family. Screws, nuts and bolts are not on the tops of my list. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Ace Hardware. Four blocks away and easy to find what I need, I toss all the rest out. :)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

But it sounds like you do like to forgo golf, walking, etc and spend hours of time and gas going to hardware stores hunting down small hardware items that you previously threw away.

Reply to
davefr

Reply to
Bubba

Ostrich eggs? :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I already got it, don't have to go to town to get more, don't have to pay any more rent to put another one on the shelf and since it's all in the barn and/or shop it's dry so it doesn't rust. A little organization up front does help. I can simply not imagine not having a pretty complete supply of fasteners of all types at hand. (Of course I'm one of the ones who saves and re-uses old nails, too... Grandpa (and Dad) would turn in their graves if I didn't... :) )

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Send the overage to me, I'll save it... :)

It's 5+ miles to town, Ace is , plus all the rest of the hassle of not just going to the shop and getting what's needed. Then, if the supply is low, put it on "the list" and replenish next time in town...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Bought about 50 bread loaf baking pans from the bakery when they updated their ovens years ago...nice, four one-pound loaf trays with a frame around the outside to keep them together. Built several sets of shelving racks to hold them. Could do something very similar with either shop-built drawers or either cardboard or plastic bins...

Also keep a commercial assortment rack of machine bolts in both english and metric sizes --these came with wall-hung storage units of their own.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Weighing in late, but some years back one of my kids made me a nut/bolt holder that has worked well for me. It is baby food tops screwed to a round piece of plywood. I put one screw in the middle of the plywood and mounted it under a shelf in my shop. You put nuts/bolts in the jars and then screw them to the tops mounted on the plywood. It works pretty good and has for years. Just an idea.

Bobby

Reply to
BGBevill

Don't separate them. Just dump all the bolts and nuts into one big container. That way, they "get together" at night and breed new ones. You'll never run out. =20

Just don't mix metric with inch sizes. Their offspring won't fit anything :-)

(Hey, it used to work with coathangers...)

Doug Warner

My "babies" are gone, but I use 18oz peanut butter plastic jars

Reply to
ThePetPage