Ideas for improving this second-generation home composting method

Page 3 of 3
On Wednesday, May 8, 2013 5:11:20 AM UTC-4, Danny D wrote:

Because they are composting. You are simply burying your garbage in the yard, which is probably illegal.
Compost has no actual soil in it. Compost is purely the decomposed organic material.
Once the material is decomposed into compost, it is THEN mixed with the soil as a fertilizer.
On Wed, 8 May 2013 03:18:16 +0000 (UTC), Danny D

I once had a pint or so of spoiled milk, and dumped it on my compost pile.
Two days later, a neighbor called to tell me that something aparently had died in my yard, and was stinking up the place. When I got within a few yards of the pile, I got the intense urge to vomit. I got a fork and broke open the pile, and there was a lump, about the size of a beach-ball, that was highly animated with the squirming of thousands of maggots. The smell was, well, the smell of death. Even after spreading it all out to dry, it took more than a week for the smell to dissipate.
I don't put milk in my compost pile anymore.
--
croy

On Thu, 09 May 2013 10:23:10 -0700, croy wrote:

I understand. Luckily, I can't even 'see' my neighbor, let alone smell something from his compost heap.
It's pretty airy here, and the winds are ferocious (100MPH gusts are normal) coming off the Pacific Ocean, so, smells aren't going to be a problem for me.
But, it's good advice for those who live within shouting distance of their neighbors...
UPDATE:
I followed your advice, and added the new steps of "turning" and "aerating" the compost pile.
The turning is done by digging with a shovel to turn the soil; and the aeration is by chopping with this "chopping tool" (what is it properly called?).