ideas for fireplace surround and hearth?

We've had a Jotul woodburning insert installed into our exisiting fireplace. First, though, we dismantled our old crappy fireplace surround and had it built back up thinking we'd have it and the hearth tiled. It's presently concrete block, 4" deep, and 50"H x 63"W (minus the fireplace cutout, of course). The hearth is 22"x63". We've gotten one estimate so far to have it all tiled in slate, for $1900 (not including tile), which seems steep to me and is pretty much out of our price range.
While we're waiting an eternity for contractor callbacks, does anyone have any ideas for other materials to cover the surround and hearth? Something that might cost less? I love the look of polished concrete, and I'm waiting to get an estimate for it, but I suspect it's pretty pricey...
TIA, Melissa

tile it yourself. 35 sqft or so. even if you went with granite tiles at 10 sqft, it would be far less. since it's already block and flat, it's pretty easy to tile. read a book at the library first.

www.eldoradostone.com
hmmm...nice. but looks pricey.
yeah, i was thinking of doing that. if i can't get a more reasonable estimate for the tile as a last resort i might do it myself. i'm not all that afraid of doing it, it's just the time factor - i'm the mom of a very curious 13 month old and didn't want to have the living room (his main play area) under construction for more than a couple days :)