Ideal SureTest Circuit Analyzer Question

Greetings,

My Ideal SureTest Circuit Analyzer shows a voltage drop of over 1.3% right at the circuit breaker. This means that voltage drops for circuits which should be less than 5% appear over 5% on the meter. This doesn&#39;t bother me but it appears to bother other people expecting the meter to read < 5%. What causes this? Where/how is the voltage drop measured? Is there a solution?

Thank you for your time and energy, William

Reply to
William.Deans

Voltage drop at the breaker compaired with what? I have never used a Ideal SureTest and probably never will ( $200.00 googled ) My VOM&#39;s cost double that. Not that it is a bad piece of equipment but the stuff I use cost 10&#39;s of thousands of dollars.

from a web page

a.. True RMS True RMS WHAT?

a.. Measures voltage drop under 12, 15 and 20-amp load Which one did you use?

a.. Line voltage a.. Peak voltage a.. Frequency a.. Ground-neutral voltage a.. Ground impedance I am not even going to deal with these functions. With out knowing a lot about the electrical system your measuring high/unacceptable numbers on any of these items is very possible.

When I do testing one of the first things I am asked to provide is a certification/calibration testing of the instrument with in a year of the test I am doing. All of my equipment is tested annually and there is a sticker from the testing agency on each piece of equipment. This is an expense and a pain in the ass. But my customers know that my equipment is up to specs and what I measure is a true and accurate reflection of the situation.

In all reality the voltage drop is not something that is enforceable unless you have specs and an owner that has paid for it. Reporting something that in all likely hood will not be changed is not productive. If someone challenges your findings. How are you going to defend your position? Your certainly not going to get anyone knowledgeable to listen to you with a $200 meter.

WAG&#39;s Meter not accurate enough, or out of calibration Operator does not use it correctly

Reply to
SQLit

---------lots snipped------------------- "> > challenges your findings. How are you going to defend your position?

I agree completely. The basics do not include voltage drop readings in my opinion. That is advanced testing in my mind.

Even the basics hold liablilies now days. If your going to use a meter and "state some thing is out of spec/wrong" then the meter better damned well be certified accurate. Because the your next visit might be in court. If you can get money for pouring hot coffee in your lap making statements about an electrical system could end up in court in the worse case scenario. Been there - done that made a really bad week for me and the customer even though we prevailed.

Reply to
SQLit

I understand where you&#39;re coming from, being an EE myself. But I don&#39;t think the guy needs some lab certified result. After all, he doesn&#39;t have a test protocol even.

I just think he wants to know some basics.

Reply to
FDR

I&#39;m sure lucky I have never had to give a disposition or go to court. I was sure that I would after I did my company&#39;s Y2K testing and thought that we may have overlooked something. I left shortly before 2000 and didn&#39;t hear anything since so I guess it&#39;s ok :)

I did get into an argument on the phone with some lawyer type about how we tested for it. I didn&#39;t budge and he was pretty pissed.

Reply to
FDR

Suretest establishes a voltage level, then imposes a very short duration 12a load and takes a snapshot of the voltage under that load. It is an indication, not a real test. This could really be some high frequency impedance in the breaker that is tricking the suretest but would have no effect on a resistive load..

Reply to
gfretwell

AHHHH the Y2K debockel... Remember that well. I had been working for a university doing automation. I had left and got a call from the old boss. Were the PLC&#39;s that I used y2k compatible? I answered yes and no. No they did not have a register for the year that was

4 digits. Yes because I never used the year register. So as long as Monday was not followed Wednesday everything would be fine. Took several lunches ( he paid ) and several phone calls before they finally fingered it out. They had 20 people in the lunch room at midnight ( unpaid ). I was home enjoying myself. I knew when London hit midnight and there were no phone calls from my friends that were there, everything was going to be calm and quiet.
Reply to
SQLit

I&#39;m curious why you even talked to the lawyer. I have always thought it unwise to respond to any question posed by an attorney unless I was subpoenaed. I figure that they know what they want and I don&#39;t and that they know what is dangerous to say and I don&#39;t. Every time one has called me I have been grateful for the protection of being able to say "You will have to contact the office of the county solicitor because I cannot speak to anyone about a matter arising out of my service as a firefighter without their express permission." So far no lawyer has ever wanted to question me about a non line of duty matter. If I ever do get into a legal hassle over my bread work as an electrician I&#39;ll refer them to my insurance carrier&#39;s attorneys. I just think that it is best to let lawyers talk to lawyers.

-- Tom Horne

Reply to
Member TPVFD

I was younger then. Not as wise, and more strongheaded :)

I have always thought it

Reply to
FDR