Idea for Removing Floor Tile

I have an idea for (hopefully) cutting down on the mess of busting up and removing a ceramic tile floor. Hoping it's as workable in reality as it is in my head. Hoping to find, perhaps, a extra heavy duty tarp (or similar) to put over the tile entry. Hammer away at the tile underneath. Wouldn't this help quite a bit with dust and flying debris? Our entry is small but I'd like to keep the mess to a minimum. Thanks, Monica

Reply to
Monica

If you intend to hammer through the tarp and the tile is well attached, I think the tarp will absorb too much energy and you won't be able to break the tile.

My suggestion is: use your tarps to seal off the area as best you can, turn off the airconditioning (or it will blow the dust around), dampen the area slightly to hold down the dust, and keep a heavy duty vacuum cleaner hose near the tool. Hopefully, you can remove most of the dust before it can move around.

Be sure to wear hearing, eye, and hand protection. I would also think twice about wearing shorts.

----------------------------------------------------------- spam: snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov wordgame:123(abc): (Barry Mann) [sorry about the puzzle, spammers are ruining my mailbox]

Barry Mann

Cover entrances with cheap 99c plastic tarps, Plastic on tile will let you see your hitting, wear Glasses. Plastic on tile may be slippery but any real dust will happen on shoveling it up. Even so its a heavy dust it wont be bad. Remodeling is dusty work ...

Reply to
m Ransley

Cover entrances with cheap 99c plastic tarps, Plastic on tile will let you see your hitting, wear Glasses. Plastic on tile may be slippery but any real dust will happen on shoveling it up. Even so its a heavy dust it wont be bad. Remodeling is dusty work ...

Reply to
m Ransley

busting up tile will (mostly) make chunks which are easily swept up. if you want to minimize flying chunks, i would just use an old towel where you are actually hitting. its not like you need to cover the entire floor.

where you will make some real gains is in the cleanup. i would suggest getting a shop vac with an exhaust port, and running a hose from that port out a window or a door. anything that gets past the vaccum filter will go outside instead of all over the house.

if you're a neat freak and cant stand mess even while project is under construction i would do this. bust out a couple tiles using the towel, then vaccum that section as mentioned above. wash, rinse, repeat til its all up.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Just cut the floor off with the tiles attached if you can get to the underneath you can drill holes where the studs are and just go to town. Very clean little mess a little more work putting in new subfloor but for entryway it should not cost much!

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Reply to