Idea for crawl INSULATION falling down

20 year old house that has insulation falling as it is coming apart in some areas due to age of insulation in crawl space. This is not very servere, but looks bad and will probably get worse. Scale of 1 to 10 I would say a 3. I could replace the insulation or just add pushing the old up into the void, use more of those wire struts, but thought of a maybe better idea. Insulation is really not in that bad of shape. Sometimes wires fall out and allow insulation to fall too. What if I bought some of this:
"Plastic / Plastic Dow High Performance Underlayment P/P is a water resistant Blue extruded foam insulation sheet which is heat bonded between strong plastic film facers and pin-perforated. Available in 6 mm (1/4") thickness. (9.5 mm to order) and supplied as a fanfold pack 15.25m (50') x 1.22m (4'). Folded at 0.61m (2') centres for easy handling."

If I cut it into 4 foot lengths, I could fit it between the joists. Result would be a neater appearance, no falling insulation ever, and a smooth surface. This would be a cheaper approach than using those large pink foamboards. Anybody seen this done ??? I have seen insulation made at one time that had a webbing around it that held the insulation together and prevented sagging over time. I have not seen it at the hardware stores in a long time.

Comments, thoughts ???

Reply to
aaa

I saw a guy use netting to put up crawl space insulation. Much better than wires because you avoid the compression. DOn't know where he got the netting though. And I suppose if you had some wiring or plumbing to do you might have to take some down.

Reply to
Art

I saw that someone had used tobacco bed cover that he'd gotten from Southern States. Another had driven some roofing nails in the floor joists, ran baling twine back and forth to form a grid. You lose about 5% of your heat through the floor. Don't be heroic about it.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

I would avoid the foam since it is flamable. I don't think you would ever have a fire under there but foam is not suppose to be visible.

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John

Could probably go to the Borg stores and get bird netting.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Reply to
Don Young

Yep and I saw a new recommendation a few months ago at some government site they you use that high density sheathing foam to hold up the fiiberglass insualtion and seal it off from moisture in the crawl space.

Reply to
Art

Someone suggested chicken wire, which would work fine. Keep in mind that some of other materials could create a vapor barrier on the wrong side of the insulation. Except for the cost, Tyvek would OK and reduce air infiltration. Doubtful, though, that there is enough energy loss to justify the $$. Bill

Reply to
bill

The site I saw about crawl space reversed the concept of vented crawl spaces. In most climates, they figured out, there was no point in having moist outside warm air go under your cool crawlspace and leave condensate. They were now recommending foam insulation on the walls and a support layer to hold up fiberglass insulation instead of using wires.

Reply to
Art

What would be the problems encountered it I used foil faced foam ? I now would have 2 vapor barriers. One with the craft faced insulation facing the subfloor, and the other being foil on the foam facing the earth of the crawl. Has it ever been done ? I cannot believe this has not been addressed by some major manufacturer.

Some>The site I saw about crawl space reversed the concept of vented crawl

Reply to
aaa