Icemaker problem

The refrigerator is an Amana BX22TW. The problem is associated with the icemaker.

We opened the freezer door and found a lot of heavy frost that was in the

1/2 of the freezer that holds the icemaker. Most of this was almost fluffy. It was in the ice tray and on top of the ice that was in there. It was also on the back wall of the freezer and it coated frozen packages that are in that part of the freezer. There was a little hard ice that had formed on the lip of the ice container. The first thing I did was to shut off the water supply at an eternal filter and raise the arm to the off position.

It is not a case of the water just overflowing. The ice in the container was not frozen together as if water had been running into the cubes that were already there . Some of the cubes were stuck slightly stuck together but no more solidly than what happens sometimes just from the defrost cycle. the ice is clearing up by itself either due to the defrost cycle or just sublimation.

I have not tried to turn the water on again yet. What is the most likely cause of this? I don't want to start shotgunning a repair/replacement.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

There may be other causes, but I had a similar problem and it turned out to be caused by the refrigerator door not closing tightly. Check that there's nothing in the way of the door and check the door gasket.

Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

I'd agree. My mother tends to stuff her freezer to the max and beyond and one time (probably many more than I've witnessed) she managed to load it so that the freezer door wouldn't quite close. The inside looked pretty much as the OP described with most of the freezer contents covered in a thick coat of fluffy ice crystals. This could be a matter of a bad seal or a door simply not closed tightly enough.

Reply to
John McGaw

except it could be the defrost timer went out, like on mine.

Reply to
charlie

On my GE I had a similar problem. Frost on the packages and cubes, drips on the shelves. GE first said that the door wasn't closed. Second time they replaced a soleniod for the icemaker. Third time they sent a technician ( a real one). He hooked his laptop to the fridge and took readings. Seems the freezer was warming 15 degrees too much during the defrost cycle. Turned out he have to return the printed circuit board and now all is fine.

Reply to
Sanity

Sometimes a cleaning of the door gasket with mild cleaner and warm water works to help the door seal tighter. Worked for me.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren