Icemaker problem? ? ?

The icemaker in my 10-year-old Amana refrigerator seems to be malfunctioning. It still makes ice, but the water overflows and leaves icicles throughout the freezer compartment.

I do not find any way of adjusting the water level -- as I believe later models have.

First, is this likely to be the icemaker, or something else?

Second, from service diagrams, it LOOKS easy to replace -- involving only three screws. I'm uneasy, though, that if I disassemble this part I might find water spurting in my face.

Should I forget self-service and call a repairman?

Any guidance most welcome.

Reply to
Ray

Why would water spurt anywhere? The very first thing you do is turn the water off.

Definately forget it if you never thought to turn the water off.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Thanks -- I was just trying to avoid turning off the water at the main source. Since I haven't yet pulled the refrigerator out, I don't know if there's a separate valve for the icemaker.

In any event, I think I'll call a technician.

Reply to
Ray

There should be. Follow the line to its source. Typically it's a clamp-on tap with a shutoff.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Ray,

Most ice makers have an adjustment for the amount of time the water supply stays open. Look for it.

A new ice maker will run approximately $100 (on line) and from what I hear it is an easy install. The service call alone will probably be

50-100 just to come to the door. I would do it yourself.

The shut off valve for the ice maker is usually located where the ice maker supply line branches off the main line. I would be shocked if there wasn't one. I doubt that it is behind the frig.

Ray wrote:

Reply to
noname87

They generally use timers to fill the tray.

You need to spend a lot of time observing to be sure of the problem, but likely have a defective timer or a defective valve.

Reply to
JimL