Icemaker not getting water

I have a Whirlpool refrigeretor with icemaker purchased in 2001. About two months ago the icemaker stopped working, so I purchased a new icemaker for $119 at the local appliance store and installed it. The new icemaker has been working fine until two days ago when it stopped altogether. No water is getting to the icemaker unit. I checked and there is water coming in from the supply line in the house. I also checked the filter where the water line enters the refrigerator and the filter is clean. Could the new icemaker be defective, or maybe there is a problem with the switch at the bottom of the refrigerator not sending water up to the icemaker. Any help would be appreciated.
Doug and Patty
Check the solenoid valve (usually where the water connection is made to the back of the refrigerator) You can put a voltmeter on the solenoid terminals and run it through a fill cycle (there is a way to jump it up to the fill cycle, however I cannot remember which terminals in the timer/motor you jump. several repair web sights have this informaiton.). When you attach the volt meter, you will get a jump in voltage ( up to 115) when the fill valve is supposed to open. If the voltage comes up and the water does not come, you either have a freeze or other blockage or the solenoid is shot. Replace it.
On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:51:15 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Hi,
No model# posted, but soemthing that may help.... http://www.applianceaid.com/icemaker.html#water
This exact thing happened to mine too, and since the water dispenser still worked it was an easy call. I got the solenoid valve replaced on the very last day that the warranty was good (why do it myself if I paid extra for the warranty?) and it's been fine ever since.

Most likely it is the solenoid valve. My experience with my Whirlpool was that the valve seals got either worn or dirty allowing small drops of water by, which would eventually build an ice dam in the dispenser tube inside the freezer. I could create an interim fix be thawing the dam with a hair dryer, and the ice maker would work for a few months and then stop again. Ultimately I figured out that I had to replace solenoid valve assy to clear the problem.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Despite your visual inspection of the filter, when was the last time you actually replaced the filter? I'll bet if you check the control panel you'll find a little red light on, indicating you need a filter replacement. $35 or so, at most appliance stores, Best Buy, etc.