Icemaker inlet valve stripped!

Back of fridge I tried to attach a brass fitting on to my plastic threaded fridge fitting, garden hose size. I used too much force ,stripped about 3-4 threads, and can't thread it on properly now. It leaks for sure. Am I screwed or is there a way around this? To replace plastic unit is about $50? Keep baggin' ice?
On Sep 29, 6:40 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com"

You can try and clean up the threads with the correct size pipe tap. Take your time and be careful because plastic cuts very easily as you have discovered.
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 01:40:15 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com wrote:

You should be able to fuck with it and get past those 3-4 threads. Do it with something that matches the size and clean it up a bit then go for it.
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 01:40:15 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com wrote:

Before I'd spend $50 on a replacement, I'd check for plastic fittings available at hardware/building stores. You might be able to redesign what you have and make it better.
Fridge manufacturers and designers don't hold all the secrets.
snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com wrote:

I've never seen an fridge icemaker with a "garden hose size" inlet. Your description sounds like there is a male thread on the icemaker valve which you were screwing a female threaded fitting onto. Is that it?
Could you post a photo or explain it a little more?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)