icemaker hookup using braided steel supply lines.

The icemaker hookup on my fridge is leaking from pulling it in out of the cabinet space one too many times to retrieve kids stuff. It is a factory copper assembly consisting of a hose bibb on the fridge side that goes to 1/4" copper. Then it goes to a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter which then connects to my 3/8" copper line. The 3/8 copper line is fine. Its the connector piece on the fridge thats leaking. Rather than get a replacement part from the appliance store, cant I just get one of those stainless steel braided supply lines that i can connect directly to the female hose bibb on the fridge to the 3/8 copper line? Fluidmaster makes a supply line specifically for icemakers up to 10 feet. It would be a lot more flexible and easier to push the fridge against the wall, something that was difficult to do in the past.

Reply to
Mikepier

ahh I just use the plastic icemaker lines, sure they may leak but its probably plastic line inside the fridge.

it sounds like your solenid valve is leaking its the fitting on the fridge, they run 40 to 50 bucks.

the advantage of plastic line is it doesnt impart stress on the fittings causing the valve to fail.

if anyone uses plastic line be suree to use a plastic ring no brass one, the ring seals the fitting, metal ring on plastic line

MAY BLOW OFF OR LEAK!

Reply to
hallerb

Reply to
bob kater

yeah I have never had a plastic line fail although I was warned they can, but being much more flexible than copper its been great for me.

the ONLY trouble I EVER had was installing a ice maker line for a friend. it went fine, I then started fixing the stove, and found I needed parts. Just before I left I went downstatairs to check for leaks and was shocked to find the plastic line had blown off the sadle valve fitting and was spraying water all over the basement cieling ....

I cut the entire fitting off and stopped at the hardware store

they said oh the ferrule for a plastic line MUST be plastic, your kit had the wrongf part.

70 cent fix, has worked fine ever since.
Reply to
hallerb

Go for it, that's what they have them for 'peace of mind'. Sounds like you move the frig as lot more than most. I've had several icemaker frigs and after I got the plastic line to not leak, or kink, or whatever I gently move the frig in to its space and never try to disturb it again.

Jay

Reply to
Jay

I second that. I had one of those cheap plastic "ice maker kit" tubes break on me once and once is enough for a lifetime.

Reply to
gfretwell

That's exactly what I did (though I believe the ice maker uses

1/4" line). I changed from copper to the stainless braided lines when I put now flooring down (and got rid of the saddle clamp, as well). I did the same for the dishwasher (though IIRC, that is 3/8") when I replaced it. I pulled the excess line downstairs and tied it up between the floor joists. Works fine.
Reply to
Keith Williams