Ice water stops running in Hot Point refrigerator

Ice maker in my Hot Point refrigerator works fine but my ice water dispenser keeps freezing up. The inside temperature in the refrigerator seems to be OK. I must continue to let the refrigerator door open and thaw out the water cooler before I can get any cool water to flow. After a few hours it is frozen up again. I stopped using the water dispenser. Does anyone have an idea what I can do to fix the water dispenser problem?

Reply to
alzens

I had a similar problem on my GE Profile Arctica refrigerator that started with intermittent freezing of the water chiller and progressed to freezing items in the crisper bin. I eventually tore into it and found the problem was a broken motorized damper door that controlled airflow from the freezer section into the refrigerator section.

The damper motor was ok, it was the plastic damper door that was broken. I checked and it was not available as a separate part, only as part of a $150+ assemble. I tried repairing the plastic door with suitable solvent cement, but that only lasted about three months before breaking again. I got annoyed at that point and took the broken plastic door out to my shop where I fabricated an all metal replacement. It's been running just fine for a couple years now.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.