Ice melt

Bought several heavy plastic bag containers of ice melt earlier this year. Now although unopened they still managed to absorb moisture as much of the contents are now chunks.
Any effective method of avoiding this? For now I'm transferring the contents into plastic 5 gallon buckets which previously held laundry detergent. Lids snap on pretty tight.

Just bust it up with a hammer or shovel

I just used some from a coffecan (open top) that has been in there for unknown numbe of years. Caked of course. A few jabs with a screwdriver loosened it all up.
Harry K

buffalo ny: expensive calcium chloride is great at melting ice in extreme cold temps. it also is sold a a dehumidifier as absorbs water in mildew-prone closets. its problem in storage with a hole in the bag is that it melts or gels as it absorbs water. if you're only handling sodium chloride [common rock salt], at the lowest cost per pound rebagging with the largest ziploc bags to keep the moisture out may be comparatively expensive. i find the blends of the various multiple ingredients in ice melt in the marketplace confuses our abilities to evaluate price per pound effectiveness. it may pay to buy it in smaller easier handled reusable containers if available.
on 12/19/2007 8:17 PM buffalobill said the following:

Calcium Chloride is best used when the temp is 15 F (-9 C) or below. The cheaper Sodium Chloride (salt) is best used when temps are above 15 F.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY