Ice Makers

I am getting a new refrigerator today and will put the old one in the garage. I would like to remove the old ice maker so I would have more space in the freezer. Does anyone know how difficult this is? (Frigidaire) And is it safe to just take it out? I mean, I assume there won't be any wires left just dangling....but I don't know for sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
You should be able to just remove it. As an example, my refrigerator has as an option an ice maker that I can install, and there is an electrical connector flush to the inside wall that I can connect it to. Presumaby therewould also be a hole in the refrigerator somewhere where the water line used to be that you would have to plug.
I am assuming that your ice maker is entirely inside the refrigerator, as opposed to the type with a feed in the door (which you can probably also just disconnect, but I personally wouldn't know).

Information on the model would be best as there are website that offer schematics that will show the installation and removal procedures for appliance components. However on average the removal of the in freezer ice maker mechanism is not too difficult providing you have basic mechanical/tool knowledge. What you want to check for is post removal openings that will allow outside air to enter the compartment and reduce the efficiency of your unit. Post your Refrigerator make and model and I'll try to find a web site for you.

Here is one web site to get you started Have a good day!

Ooops!! Forgot the paste: http://www.appliance411.com/parts/partslists.shtml
Sorry about that!

The man who delivered the new one also moved the old refrigerator to the garage for us. He removed the old ice maker which had stopped working. He said I could just leave it the way it is - with a small hole where the water came in. I can feel no cold air coming out anywhere and it appears to be working fine. The freezer is still a lot colder on it than on the new one. Guess it will catch up.

Oh no...you should definitely plug it no matter how small. Even if you only put some tape over the inside and another piece over the outside. If there is a thickness being spanned then maybe stuff something in there like a wisp of fiberglass, a sliver of a Styrofoam packing peanut or even some plumber's putty or caulk and then tape over that. If it's just a rubber grommet with a 1/4" hole then just tape both inside and out. Electricity is too expensive to leave any hole.

A new fridge can take a surprisingly long time to cool down. The machinery can fill the compartments with cold air in minutes but there's a lot of thermal mass with the inner walls, racks, etc. that take time to chill down.
The ones I've serviced, come out wtih three or four screws. Using 1/4 nut driver. And then a wiring harness. Unplugs from the inside wall of the freezer. Couple of minutes.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus