Ice Maker Won't Stop Making Ice!

Hi, We have an Amana side-by-side fridge. Recently, the ice maker keeps on making ice even when the little metal arm is in the upright position. It won't stop!
If someone has a solution, is it something a non-expert can handle, or should I call in the repair guy?
Thanks!
Bag it and sell it.
Sorry, couldn't resist. Can you see the switch and if it is actually being tripped when the bar is up?
FE wrote:

try moving arm up, see if that helps...
many would love your problem

Missed this part of the original post, didja?
"keeps on making ice even when the little metal arm is in the upright position"
--
Regards,
If you move the arm up, then it's horizontal.

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
FE wrote:

Hi,
No model# posted but if the icemaker in this fridge is an module style, one of the arms inside the module may be cracked or broken.
A copy:
A common complaint in the module style ice maker is that the ice container bucket is over flowing with ice cubes, the ice maker seems to be making too many. Once the ice maker is removed from the fridge, the cover is removed and the module is removed ( 3 screws to remove the module - it will then just left straight out ), there are plastic arms that work with the wand arm ( the part that goes up and down with every cycle ) these arms often break, which means a new module to repair this problem. The replacement modules have a "beefier" set of plastic arms that seem to work well. A common complaint in the module style ice maker is that the ice container bucket is over flowing with ice cubes, the ice maker seems to be making too many. Once the ice maker is removed from the fridge, the cover is removed and the module is removed ( 3 screws to remove the module - it will then just left straight out ), there are plastic arms that work with the wand arm ( the part that goes up and down with every cycle ) these arms often break, which means a new module to repair this problem. The replacement modules have a "beefier" set of plastic arms that seem to work well.
http://www.applianceaid.com/newpics/inside-modual.JPG
FE wrote:

1. Check to see if an ice cube made its way onto the switch bar mechanism and is preventing the bar from closing the switch. 2. Pull the unit out and defrost it. It could be frost in the switch mechanism. 3. Call the repair guy.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Thank you all for replying. The "stop the ice" metal bar actually goes into an encased plastic body -- I don't see any type of switch where the bar enters the body.
I am going to try the suggestion to "defrost" the unit to see if there is anything inside the plastic body/module that is frozen and therefore keeping the metal arm from doing its job.
There are electrical-looking cords connected to the icemaker body. I gently tugged on them to see if I could get them out, but they don't budge (I didn't want to break them). Is there a trick to getting these cords out so I can "defrost" the module?
Thanks again!
FE wrote:

I expect it has a plug that plugs into a socket on the wall of the refrig. The whole unit should be removable. Obviously the water is already turned off.

Yours is probably like mine and the arm goes into the black sealed module and you can't see anything.
Not much you can do but replace the whole module, so I'd consider replacing the whole thing.
FE wrote:

The clear solution is to make Margarita's 24/7.

Problem solved :)
Mark
Just had a similar problem with my Kenmore Elite unit. Different model so may not apply. Mine was apparently just frosted up, keeping the supply valve from closing. Defrosted, and working fine. Might be worth a shot.

Wifey once pulled out the tray, and put it back without moving the arm up. When she returned the tray, it popped the arm out of the socket. So even though the arm was up, the icemaker couldn't tell.
So I would check if the arm is properly seated.
imho,
tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com