Ice Maker Woes

I read more posts on here about problems with ice makers.

Every time I visit my mother, her ice maker is not making ice, or makes too much, or something else.....

Are they all this much trouble?

I have never owned one, and dont think I'd want one after hearing all the troubles with them. I'll stick to my plastic ice cube trays.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

I'd never want one. They take up too much freezer space.

What works best? They have these plastic bag things. You fill with water and tie the end. Toss in the freezer and you've got 18 ice cubes. You just punch out the ones you want and the plastic bag keeps the rest fresh.

Reply to
Noozer

Consumer Reports says that the icemaker is the most common part of the fridge to need repair. That being said, our last three fridges have had 'em. Although one broke down and had to be fixed, I'll always get one. The convenience---getting ice without letting the cold air out of the fridge, not having to stock up on ice before company comes, not having three empty trays in the freezer when the kids don't want to fill them---far outweighs the problems.

Others no doubt will have different opinions.

Best -- Terry

Reply to
prfesser

Just depends, I bought a frig about 12 years ago and did not have any trouble. Moved , bought a frig of the same brand but the icemaker was differant looking. It lasted 2 years and I just replaced it. Seems that one make replaces most of the brand named ones now.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Probably.

We had an automatic ice maker years ago but did NOT get one on the refrigerator we bought some years ago. I give this refrigerator to my daughter and bought a new one - WITH an ice maker - about four years ago. It has required service at least once and is again inoperable.

Still, I miss it and, when finances allow, will have it repaired again.

I suspect the biggest problem with automatic ice makers is DISuse - they are not operated often enough. Use it or lose it, I guess.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs