Ice maker stopped

Page 1 of 2
GE refrig with ice maker turned on by putting lever down Put it down and it made ice for a few hours then just stopped. Regrig has not been moved or touched in any way. Icemaker just appears to have died. Any experience with this kind of thing. Box is 5- 10 years old. Came with house that I bought last year.
TIA
Lou

OK, but how long have you been using the ice maker? And how long has it been stopped?
IME sometimes the cycle timing varies and I wonder if mine is broke (or breaking). -----
- gpsman
gpsman wrote:

I generally run it about every two weeks since I only use a few ice cubes a day. Been using it since I got the house about 16 months ago. flipped the lever down yesterday (Wednesday) morning. It made about 10 ice cubes and then got quiet. I have flipped lever up and down a couple of times. If it does not come back to life and the repair is not both easy and cheap I can just go back to ice cube trays.
Lou

Depends on what you mean by "cheap". It's an easy replacement, with a new unit costing no more than $120.00. I got one for $80.00. Look online for your model, then tell the local appliance parts outlet how much you'd pay through "ecommerce", and they'll usually match that price. Tom
tom wrote:

"Easy" is relative, based on experience and ability. Thank You.
Lou

You're welcome. Yep, I realize that just turning a screw can be overwhelming. Losers. Tom

You're a real charmer huh?
tom wrote:

I happen to be a good mechanic, but why bother when a couple of ice cube trays will make ice with no other work on my part.
Lou
Two years ago, I changed an ice maker for a nice lady, about 3 feet tall, and looked like she didn't grow up in the US. I waited while it filled, ran through a cycle. Told her the first ice cubes would taste bad.
She called back the next day, not working. I was thinking all the things that could be wrong. Got there, the wire was all the way up to "vacation mode". I'd left it down. I asked.
"I put wire up to tell ice maker to make ice". I shoulda charged her another trip charge. Stupidity should be painful.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You're welcome. Yep, I realize that just turning a screw can be overwhelming. Losers. Tom

You're welcome. Yep, I realize that just turning a screw can be overwhelming. Losers. Tom

Sorry. Tom

Please forgive my response to your reply (Uh, all three of 'em). I get flippant. Just remember to shut off the water before you remove the old icemaker, eh? Tom
tom wrote:

Yup and no offense taken.
Lou
Not needed. Removing the ice maker removes the power to the fill valve.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I see posting something just once can also be overwhelming.

Dunno what happened there. Damn fool computer... why garbage out? That's a rhetorical question, of course. Again, I'm sorry. The OP can contact me with any questions regarding the installation, as the email addy is for real. Piece of cake, really. Really. Tom
Open the fridge, pop out the "kick plate". Vacuum under there with a shop vac, and long brush. If the ice maker doesn't get down to some temp or other, it stops making ice. That's quick and easy thing to try.
They call GE "Generally expensive" for a reason.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
>Joseph Meehan wrote:

> One more possibility: Maybe it is frozen. If you can shut down the > frig for a few hours with the door open and then turn it back on, ...? > BTW that might be a good time to clean the coils and under the frig. > :-)

Interesting idea. May not be so easy to do, but will look into it.
Lou