ice maker splashing

I have recently had to install a new water valve for my HotPoint side by side fridge because the water dispenser would not shut off. Ever since, the ice maker has not been working properly. The freezer was full of ice. Ice was everywhere but no ice cubes. The wall showed signsof water splashing outside the ice maker. I cleaned up the mess of ice and removed the ice maker itself to find out that it does not connect directly the tube supplying the water. Instead the tube just empties into an open spout like thing on the side of the ice maker. That got me thinking that my problem is too much water. The water pressure it too high and the result is the splashing problem I am having. I could fix that by restricting the amount of water coming from the supply valve outside the fridge. Does anybody out there know how this thing is supposed to work to shed some light on this? I prefer to get some adivse before I tried to limit the water supply. I don't want to have to go through another mess cleanup. Also, if what I am thinking is true, how do you adjust the amount of incoming water? Thanks in advance. Joseph

Reply to
Joseph

Hi,

Model#?

model# helps.

Is the fill tube in the grommet at the back of the freezer and the icemaker fill funnel properly?? If the fill tube is loose the fill water will go all over the place rather than inside the icemaker.

The icemaker should fill for approx 6-9 seconds and fill the icemaker with usually 130 to 150 cc ( 4.5 to 5.0 oz ) of water.

The fill time is usually adjustable ( a little ) and may be a better idea ( if needed ) than trying to restrict the water pressure.

*Some* water adjustements...
jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Reply to
Joseph

Hi Joseph,

Assuming you're absolutely sure you were given the correct valve for your model, I'm wondering if you might have reversed the dispenser and icemaker fill tubes when you inserted them into the new fill valve?

The icemaker side of the valve has an internal flow washer that heavily restricts the metered flow to the icemaker. But the dispenser side of the valve usually has no flow washer, and supplies much higher flow. The icemaker is set up to fill for 'x' amount of time, regardless of water flow. Reversed tubes would explain your overflow.

The two valve outlet fittings are *usually* different sizes, but I've seen some that are identical, and this would be an easy mistake to make.

I use an old baby bottle to adjust icemaker fill levels. They're nicely compact and are graduated in cc's. Requires loosening the icemaker from its mounts and running a test cycle or two, catching & measuring the fill in the bottle.

Whenever there's any change made to an icemaker's fill system, or a new icemaker's installed, this test & adjustment must be done. Incorrect fill levels are the #1 cause of the icemaker problems I see.

Hope that's of some help.

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

I'm a 30-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter:

Acts 4:12

Reply to
Dave Harnish

Well that would be a good thing to determine? If it isn't splashing out of the icemaker like you originally stated, the water may be the result of a plugged defrost water drain. You can read about that at the following link:

My fridge is leaking water, what might the problem be?

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

maker.

water

coming

icemaker

better

Reply to
Dan O.

Hi Dave, I appreciate your help greatly. I could not have reversed the two fill tubes as they are of different sizes as you mentioned. I did not have to touch the icemaker in the process of replacing the valves. Can the icemaker devlop a leak somehow? I suppose I can disconnect it and test it that way I can see if it leaks or if it is plugged. Is there a way for the inlet to open or close? Can it get jammed? Thanks again.

God Bless, Joseph

Reply to
Joseph

Hi,

Lift the arm up on the icemaker ( this shuts it off ) and let the icemaker sit off a bit...let the freezer get good and cold and you can lower the icemaker arm so the icemaker should start and go through it's motions and you can visually watch the icemaker to hopefully get and better idea on where the water is comming from.

Could you see ice/water all inside the freezer from the icemaker on down to the bottom....or just the ice in the bottom?

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff