Ice Maker Question

Hello,

Does long cycling times between ice (square cubes) being made and not very cold water coming from the dispenser indicate the temperature may be too high in the freezer? Are there other things it could be?

4-5 year old Kitchenaide Superba, side by side.

Thanks

Reply to
Mr Mow Town

Yes, recent. I noticed just yesterday the ice container was very low so i've had my eye on it. I believe it's only made ice 2-3 times since yesterday afternoon, and the latest was about 445 minutes ago.

Approximately how long does it usually take between cycles? Seems like before this if the tray was mostly emptied it would cycle and make ice right along until the tray was full again.

Reply to
Mr Mow Town

I will check that. Looking for about 12 degrees?

lol, no.

No.

Reply to
Mr Mow Town

I've never seen an icemaker that is more than a motorized tray cooled by the air in the freezer.

So about the only reason is the freezer temp is set too high. But you should also see other things like runny ice-cream

And remember that constantly opening the doors will do the same thing. Do you have kids/family members who are in the fridge/freezer constantly, and leave the door open while they take five minutes to decide what they want ?

Another (but very unlikely) possible cause. Is the water inlet from the cold water supply, or did someone tap into a hot water line ? (it happens)

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Thanks for the help all.

Reply to
Mr Mow Town

Most thermostats in fridges are not calibrated well, so I only rely on them for relative temp. I do prefer the "ice cream gauge" for the freezer.

If ice creme is too soft, make it a bit cooler If ice creme bends or breaks spoons, make it a bit warmer.

And by golly I really do enjoy keeping an eye on the freezer temperature, as often as possible. ;)

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Can you spell "refrigerator thermometer"?

You can get one for as little as three bucks:

Go thee one and use it to see what's going on in both the refrigerator and the freezer. The scale on it is marked with typical temperature ranges for both compartments.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

FYI, the way the icemaker in my GE refrigerator/freezer works is that the ice "cube" dump cycle begins when a thermostat on the mold says it's cold enough to believe that the water inside it must be frozen.

When that thermostat clicks, a heater is turned on which warms up the mold so the cubes can be ejected. A shaded pole "push out" motor is energized at the same time, but that motor is initially stalled by the cubes being stuck in the mold.

When the mold heats enough so the motor can run and push the cubes out, it does so.

The motor stops when a cam operated switch tells it to, but in the process of getting to that point another cam operated switch opens a solenoid water valve for just long enough to fill the mold with water.

Things stop there and wait until the thermostat on the mold says the cubes must be frozen again, and the cycle repeats.

A sensor bail looks at the level in the cube bin and stops the cycle when it gets full.

*********************************

So, a warmer freezer compartment will increase the amount of time it takes for the water to freeze, lengthening the cycle.

Capiche?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

The water dispenser has a reservoir in the refrigerator. The first couple of ounces are not as cold as they are sitting in the line and no longer cooled. Mine just came out at 46 degrees

I have the same model, a few years older. The unit was delivered with the setting in the mid range and I've never had reason to change them. Is this a recent problem that is taking longer?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It does take a few hours between loads, but I don't know exactly. When mine gets very low, it takes at least 24 hours to completely refill.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ed must have the super turbo model. My sears side by side takes 4

1/2 days to fill the ice bin.

I know, that seems awful slow but that is with it working exactly as designed. The instruction manual says to be patient.

( My trays are full when they dump. )

Reply to
Sherman