ice maker odor/taste questions

The ice in my Whirlpool side by side has just started having a chemical type of an odor and taste. The fridge is clean and i am stumped. Do ice makers have any seals that could have broken to let a small amount of oil or grease into the water supply? Also, it has a new water filter and there is no odor or taste to the water.

Reply to
jst

First you need to identify when it picks up the odor.

Throw all the ice away and clean everything and pour vinegar in your tray and leave until it dumps. Then just dump and throw away the next batch. Start testing the next batch as soon as it dumps, but test some and leave the rest in the bin, testing them after they have been there overnight.. What I'm suggesting is that your bin and fridge air is flavoring your ice, rather than the water.

Reply to
deke

might be a water main break somewhere started the problem.

dump ALL ice, run lots of water from the water dispenser, clean area well, let it make ice for a day and toss it all again

is taste odor now gone

make sure something isnt getting smelly in fridge ore freezer. odors can travel, clean fridge again dumping water in lower part, check drain tank in lowest area of fridge.

my dad had a problem like yours, the service tech found a dead mouse in the drain pan. YIKES! odors often come from this area

Reply to
hallerb