Ice maker has died!

I have a Kenmore side by side no. 106.51554104. It is the one where the ice is stored in the door rather than below the ice maker.

We came back from vacation, used up the ice, and it has not made any more! I shut the water off while I was away, but the water dispenser works fine now; just none seems to be getting to the ice maker.

Any suggestions as to what to do?

Thinking about it, maybe some ice has formed in the supply line and is blocking the flow, so I have to defrost? Now that the weather has warmed up and I can't store the food outside, defrosting would be really difficult, so if you have other ideas....

Reply to
Toller

The fill tube from the rear of the 'fridge may be blocked by an ice dam. Look on the back and see if you can access it. It usually is held on with a couple of quarter inch screws behind the ice maker. Pull it off and see if the passage is clear.

Reply to
HeatMan

Hi,

Maybe a hair dryer could be used to warm up the fill tube to see if it is frozen up with ice. ( *Carefull of any plastic and foam parts ) May also be able to access the fill tube from the back on the outside to check it for ice. Sitting with the water off -may- have allowed the fill tube to freeze over :(

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

I didn't want to defrost it, and getting to the back was difficult; so I stalled, hoping for a miracle.

Well, 5 days after it stopped working, it started again. Sometimes procrastination works.

Reply to
Toller

It's probably the solenoid valve for the ice maker. If it stops again, or the cubes seem smaller than normal, its mostlikely the valve is going bad. I have a Kenmore that did that and after a couple months it finally stopped working altogether. $35 for the part at the parts store, and 1/2 hour to put it in.

Reply to
mwlogs