Ice Maker Freezing Up

I have an old (20 yrs) Whirlpool refrigerator with an ice maker that keeps freezing up. The water freezes in the water refill tube every couple of months. I did discover that the tube has a small crack on the part that is outside the freezer and leaks a very small amount. I can thaw the tube out with a hair dryer and then the ice maker works for another month or two.

Is there a permanent solution to my problem? Would the crack in the tube be causing any of the problem? That is easily replaced.

Thanks for your advice.

David

Reply to
David

buffalobill

Just a follow-up...The problem turned out to be a leaking water inlet valve. The coil itself was good, but the valve had a leak letting the fill tube become filled with water which then froze.

David

Reply to
David

Just a follow-up...the problem was the water inlet valve leaking. I replaced it and everything works fine now.

David

Reply to
David