ice damage in an open top container?

I just bought a used sailboat. The guy who sold it to me cautioned that we are expecting rain and freezing temperatures over the next week. He is concerned that the cockpit drain could somehow clog. significant rain could accumulate in the cockpit, and it could freeze; damaging the boat.
Seems to me that since the cockpit is completely open and somewhat flaring, any ice expansion would be directed upwards. Even if the drain did clog, and somehow we got more than an inch or two, damage seems remote.
Whatcha think?
I could drape a tarp over the mast, which is now down for transport, easily enough; but that would require a long drive to get to the boat, and I really don't have the time if it is pointless.

sci.physics ?

I don't know the answer to your question, and I don't want to guess, but if you should do this, maybe the seller would do it for you, or the boatyard where it is located, or someone else you can reach by phone, for the cost of the tar and 20 or 30 dollars.
Don't boaters stick together? Don't people stick together?
Toller wrote:

I would not risk it. Freezing ice expands with great force. The bottom of a sail boat is seldom smooth and often has reinforcements that could easily be damaged. However it will be your boat and your investment. Do as you like.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

I think you should listen to the guy. Pay him to protect your investment.