ice cube madness

Page 2 of 3

On this note, it's been observed that if you want to freeze meat or fish or shrimp and have it be just as good months later, a good technique is to put the food in a ziplock bag and then fill the bag full of water before zipping the bag shut. Freezer burn is due to sublimation of the water in the food, and by the method just described, the added water does the sublimating rather than the food.
I tried this trick with same-day shrimp acquired in South Carolina in June, and I thawed the last 2-lb bag for dinner in January, and it tasted just like the shrimp cooked the first day.
PD

Or, freeze each item solidly, then dip them in ice water to coat them well. Repeat as needed. Then re-freeze them and put them in zip lock bags. This makes it easier to get out one or two pieces.
Had a home for sale with a ice maker that sat vacant for several months, a idiot home inspector wrote up mal formed ice cubes from maker, because they had sublimiated away. true what was left of the cubes looked wierd.
the deal fell thru buyer said your home has too many troubles.
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:37:45 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Some refrigerators were made with a freon/thalidomide combination, and that causes malformed ice cubes. Early imports from China.

I agree. Used to be able to buy 4lb of shrimp in blocks of ice. It would keep almost forever and taste nearly fresh upon melting. These newer packaging methods using flash freezing are already somewhat mummified right out of the market. Nowhere near the moisture and freshness. This also works for fish you catch yourself. Put in topless milk cartons full of water and freeze. The meat retains it's firmness and moisture. I never tried this with other than fish or seafood. I'm not sure it would work too well with herd animal flesh. Maybe.
nb
notbob wrote:

I used to always freeze fish in plastic grocery bags and they would go bad pretty fast. A shame ending a fishes life by keeping them and not even using them. The carton method isn't very practical for me, Any ideas for freezing fish to last at least a month?

Vacuum sealer
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Cool, I will look into that. Very disappointing throwing fish or any food for that matter away.
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:42:42 -0700 (PDT), monkey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I know how you feel. I don't like to waste food or anything, but it's worse to waste meat and fish. They died so we could eat them. We should do so.
I had one roommate whose father, he told me, worked at a state mental hospital. He would bring home a lot of spaghetti, butter, 64 oz. cans of corn, and several other things, all labeled Not for Sale. I think his father bartered them in return for working on private cars for the kitchen staff.
It was bad enough that they, he and his girl friend, stole from the mental hospital, but worse that they let the food rot sometimes. One 64 oz. can of vegetables had about 8 oz. eaten and nothing more and after long enough, it rotted.
And it wasn't a prison, the residents weren't even criminals, and they still stole from them.
I didn't want to fight with them when they were living htere, but after they left, I wrote them a letter saying more or less what I have here. I'm sure his parents took even more food for his house than these two did.
mm wrote:

We have a downstairs fridge and I put stuff it in there to thaw it out and occasionally, rarely but occasionally, I will have this feeling and go oh, and go downstairs and it's either complete relief or strong disappointment cause we often buy in bulk.
I would rather just burn the money spent for it rather than throw the stuff away.

When I get large cans of vegetables that's what were gonna have as aprt of a couple of dinners, nice big piles, (I love those canned mixed vegetables) Then it's on for a big pot of vegetable beef soup\\stew.
If anything is left over it's to the freezer.

If you are talking about the kitchen they stole from?
That creates hassles for the cooks and people who take inventory, innocent employees being accused of theft and the bottom line.
Prison though, I don't see it matters, if they steal from the kitchen they still steal from somebody.

Yea I have seen this stealing and waste also. I've seen managers take large unopened items then heard "I need another one because I left the other one open." I say if your gonna steal it at least have some respect for it. And don't think pretending you are entitled makes that so, steal it, don't allow your co-workers to see what you are doing, unless they do it too. Me I really don't want to see it.
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:35:49 -0700 (PDT), monkey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I don't think this kid or his father did the stealing itself, but the food was marked "Dept. of Agriculture" maybe iirc and definitely marked Not for Resale. The father ran the autoshop at the hospital, and he knew who his customers were and where the food was coming from. And I'm sure the son did too and 10 to 1 odds he told his girlfriend. They got married a month after they moved out of my place. He didn't answer the letter I wrote him. Embarrassed or angry, I'm sure. I'd guess the odds were 50/50 he stopped taking the food. By now he would have children in college. Maybe three generations are eating off that food.

As far as their stealing goes, you're right, it doesnt' matter, it's stealing from the state of NY either way. But I tried to foresee the kind of excuse someone in this situation would use, like, if this were a prison, "They are criminals and they don't get adequately punished anyhow, and we're just treating them the way they should be treated." But even that, as phony as it it, doesn't apply here.

Wow.

Do what I mentioned earlier. I served salmon that had been iced this way a year earlier to a very avid fisherman once. He complimented me on how fresh it tasted.
The thicker layer of ice, the longer it lasts, so multiple coats help.
PD wrote:

That's a good thing to think about.

We get roadside roasted green chile every fall and there ends up being lots of great liquid. Twist the top making an ice seal by having wet hands when you twist it closed and a year later it still will have that great fresh roasted green chile flavor.
monkey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It's either due to sublimation or the cube is resting near an area that heats up in the self-defrosting cycle.
gloria p
monkey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Eco-terrorist. Each of your ice cubes obtained through the death of a Third World baby.

Baggie your weed adn wrap in aluminum foil before freezing.

Frost-free freezer. Look it up. Never store peroxydicarbonate free radical initiators in a certified chemical refigerator frost-free freezer - they explode.
--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
monkey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

with ice and water added doesn't overflow when the ice melts if you don't drink any of the water :) I can't for the life of me remember the answer and am too lazy to Google for it. It just seemed a curious thing to me.
Jill

And the answer is that because ice is less dense than water, the volume of the ice when it melts (into water) becomes exactly equal to the volume under the waterline of the icecubes. This is in fact the discovery that Archimedes made a few years back. PD

I used to know a lot of facts about Archimedes but something seems to have displaced that knowledge.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Do you suppose it's due to too many baths?
gloria p
- DerbyDad03 wrote: - - - I used to know a lot of facts about Archimedes but something seems to have displaced that knowledge.
- Do you suppose it's due to too many baths? - - gloria p
Or from getting crowned...