IC Rated Lighting Fixtures and Insulation

Just so I'm clear on the terminology, correct me if I've got this wrong:

The terms "IC rated fixture" and "non-IC rated fixture" only apply to recessed fixtures, not to "below the ceiling" fixtures such as this, right?

The reason I ask is that if you consider a "below the ceiling" fixture to be non-IC rated, then you'd have to deal with the 3" clearance on all sides of the *fixture*, meaning that you could not have insulation directly on top of the ceiling drywall because it would be less than

3" from the fixture.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

IC rated is only for recessed fixtures that will be in contact with insulation. Insulation can make the can very hot. IC rated list the bulbs that can be safely used, and all of them I have seen have a thermal switch that disconnects when the fixture gets too hot.

Surface mount fixtures can dissipate heat. Often there is insulation included behind the canopy to prevent heat from getting into the junction box and overheating the wires. The some fixtures require higher temperature wire insulation (but it seems like most new wire is 90 degree C insulation now).

Reply to
bud--

That's what I thought.

Thanks!