I wish I thought of this!

http://www.menards.com/main/electrical/wiring-devices/outlets/combination-receptacle-or-usb-charger/p-1710887-c-9526.htm
On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 21:42:33 -0500, Congoleum Breckenridge
I actually did think of it a while ago. As a kid I also thought up skateboard parks, ultralight aircraft, those little bags of air used for packaging, and a mess of other stuff. Later, I thought up those plastic lids that go on hot coffee with the little sip doors.
What I don't unserstand is why they don't make electrical outlets with an on-off switch.
-Zz
On 3/3/2012 8:50 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:

Electrical outlets with a power switch are manufactured, they're standard in The U.K. and there is one you can buy in the U.S. and Canada. It has an outlet and switch combination that fits a duplex cover. ^_^
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/productdetails.aspx?sku235314
TDD

Vry common and have been for a least 30 years. I have ...umm...two in srvice. I don't know if they can be wired so the switch controls theoutlet though.
Harry K
On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 20:26:25 -0800 (PST), Harry K

They can.

You have an outlet and a switch. Think about it.

I thought up remote transmitted outdoor thermometers. I put the word out. Took 2-3 years. That was in the 90's.
Greg
How many USB charge devices do you have? Me, well, I can think of zero. That power socket would be about as useful as, uh, as useful as a cement mixer at a pinochle game.
On 3/3/2012 10:15 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

http://www.menards.com/main/electrical/wiring-devices/outlets/combination-receptacle-or-usb-charger/p-1710887-c-9526.htm
4 cell phones, 1 PDA, 2 or 3 mp3 players, just off the top of my head.....
On Mar 3, 10:15pm, "Stormin Mormon"

cal/wiring-devices/outlets/combina...
6 that I can think of right off the bat:
2 smart phones 2 GPS's 1 bluetooth earpiece 1 bluetooth stereo headset
More when the kids come home from college on breaks.

My first day of snow skiing I thought, "These things would probably turn a lot easier if they were skinnier in the middle". -----
- gpsman
Well, considering that everything that charges with a USB cable comes with a USB cable, and half of them I've already replaced so I have extra chargers, and the expectation that in a decade things won't be using the same USB jacks they use now, I'd say it's not that useful. Kids will look at it and say "What's that?" just like they do now with rotary phones. The difference is, rotary phones aren't built into walls.
On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 20:38:22 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@brainchampagne.com wrote:

USB cable, and half of them I've already replaced so I have extra chargers, and the expectation that in a decade things won't be using the same USB jacks they use now, I'd say it's not that useful. Kids will look at it and say "What's that?" just like they do now with rotary phones. The difference is, rotary phones aren't built into walls.
USB-As aren't going anywhere. I guess you've never seen phone jacks in houses. They're certainly wired in (some hard wired) and have changed over the years. Old houses usually still have the things in the walls. At least this thing can be swapped with a regular outlet if it's no longer useful. I think it's a great idea and will probably get a few of them, though four amps would be much better than .7. I can then leave my chargers in my travel cases or at work (though I generally plug into a computer, there).
On Saturday, March 3, 2012 8:42:33 PM UTC-6, Congoleum Breckenridge wrote:

http://www.menards.com/main/electrical/wiring-devices/outlets/combination-receptacle-or-usb-charger/p-1710887-c-9526.htm
Much handier> http://www.usbchainsaw.com /
On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 20:53:57 -0800 (PST), Bob_Villa

Chuckle-- That's a good one. Folks-- watch the video-- and scroll down to see why the pre-order is no longer available.
Jim

Only 700mA? It should be four or five times that, these days.
Congoleum Breckenridge wrote:

http://www.menards.com/main/electrical/wiring-devices/outlets/combination-receptacle-or-usb-charger/p-1710887-c-9526.htm
Here's another little plug-in device that many wish had not been thought of:
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/03/pwnie/

I learned you can go just about anywhere carrying a 6 ft ladder. People will even open the doors for you. :)