I want outlets like this.

Page 4 of 5
On 1/24/2011 8:13 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

first handful of paper (hey, can YOU see back there?), having the paper away from the wall reduces the chances of fouling the paint or wallpaper.
--
aem sends...

Yabbut, you have to slap it underhand to get a bunch to come off fast. And that usually sends the whole apparatus shooting towards the ceiling.

Plus, it rolls off with a downward slap, saving a lot of work.
Steve
On 1/24/2011 10:18 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You're worried about how pretty something is that you're going to clean your butt with? Do you buy scented toilet tissue? D'oh!
TDD

..
Scented toilet paper, like scented soap, is bad for your skin, no, I don't.
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[snip]

Also, scented toilet paper is psychologically harmful. You learn to associate perfume with shit.
As to the direction the toiler paper turns, THIS IS NOT AN ART OBJECT. It is there for a purpose (not just to look at). The most attractive position should be the most useful one. Paper that hangs out in front is easier to reach.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Not only that, but when you have brown stuff on your fingers, you don't get it on the wall.
HTH
Steve
Smitty Two wrote:
[snip]

I like the paper horizontal, but higher up than most houses seem to have.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Those were my arguments to my wife. Our rolls dispense off the top....
On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 09:41:59 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Did you learn all this from Jesus?
On Jan 24, 1:15am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Why did they remove the requirement from the electrical code if it made sense?

Who said they removed the "requirement" from any code. It was a safety issue, independent of any "code", AFAIK.
On Jan 24, 7:56pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I was just messing with you. ;)
This is another one of those things where there's tons of "I'm 100% sure it's this way!" on every side.
Th following forum's info is a bit old, but it seems to cover the bases pretty completely and I'm not aware of any changes: http://www.mikeholt.com/technical.php?id=grounding/unformatted/9-23-99&type=u&title=Receptacles%20-%20Ground%20Up%20or%20Ground%20Down?%20%289-23-99%29
There are reasonable arguments for having the orientation either way. Hospitals and industrial and government facilities might have their own requirements, but there's no definitive answer in residential construction. At least not yet. The general tide seems to want to have the ground up, but that would put strain on the cord of almost every electrical device with a power brick plug, which has to be more dangerous than the slim possibility of something contacting the neutral and hot prongs and arcing.
The likelihood that all receptacles will have to be protected by arc- fault breakers would be a more likely change to the code, and they're already halfway there with bedrooms.
RicodJour wrote:

The 2008 NEC greatly extended where AFCI protection is required. For a home, in general for a new circuit, if a receptacle is not required to be GFCI protected it is required to be AFCI protected.
The 2011 NEC expands that further. I haven't plowed through the code language yet, but the "changes" book says: - if wiring is modified, replaced or extended in areas where AFCI protection is required the changed wiring is required to be AFCI protected - where an old receptacle is replaced, and it is in an area that the code now requires to be AFCI protected, the replacement receptacle has to be AFCI protected
In both cases above the protection can be an AFCI breaker, or an AFCI replacement receptacle, or being downstream from an AFCI receptacle (same idea as downstream from a GFCI receptacle now). Leviton said it was developing an AFCI receptacle 4 years ago. The "changes" book has a picture of a P&S AFCI receptacle. Presumably at least the P&S receptacles exist. Anyone seen a cost? BORG availability?
One of the main arguments for AFCI breakers was to protect the wiring. AFCI receptacles don't provide part of that protection. Perhaps someone will come up with a UL listed hammer to aid in getting the larger AFCI replacement receptacle in the original box.
Another change is that if "tamper-resistant" or "weather-resistant" receptacles are required for new wiring, they are also required for replacement receptacles. Not real surprising.
--
bud--

On Jan 24, 7:56pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

That is a common practice in commercial buildings where metal cover plates are used on the outlets... It is MUCH better to have the metal cover plate come in contact with the ground pin on an outlet and plug that it would be to have it dead short across the hot and neutral pins on a plug...
So is a courtesy wrap of electrical tape around the outlet or switch device which covers the live terminals because a lot of troubleshooting is done with the circuits live to minimize any downtime... When a defect is discovered the circuit is then powered down only when repairs or modifications are to be made...
~~ Evan

Are you saying that electricians have their head up their ass?
Back to the original discussion, if anyone remembers ..........
On a recent kitchen remodel, I bought a box of those outlets. When I went to plug something in, it was difficult. I asked the installer to look at them. He said they were defective, and he would have to take them all out. Then he looked at the box, and figured it out. Apparently, they're fairly new, and not everyone's seen them yet.
Steve
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 23:54:48 -0600, The Daring Dufas

I'm glad they finally caught on. I was putting ground up in the 70s and had to plead my case with an inspector who commented on them. Finally he shrugged, and said he couldn't flunk me for it, but thought I was crazy.
Jim
On 1/23/2011 9:20 PM snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com spake thus:

http://assets.gearlive.com/blogimages/230-mpg-chevy-volt-thumb-579x440-22138.jpg
That would be kewl, actually. Hey, maybe I can make a tool to pound ground pins into a curve to fit them!
And they get 23 MPG too ...

The outlet is supposed to represent the "zero" of 230 MPG, but I'm just not impressed with the way they came up with that figure.

On 1/24/2011 12:20 AM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

http://assets.gearlive.com/blogimages/230-mpg-chevy-volt-thumb-579x440-22138.jpg
I suppose the Chinese made cars will use a 6-30R:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Jeff