I want outlets like this.

Page 3 of 5

This has been used on custom wheel lug nut for decades. It's a keyed driver. Unless they make a different key for every reader, there's also mulitple tools. Besides, I've seen tire monkeys take of these keyed lug nuts with a regular socket. Jes use an oversized skt, air torque wrench, lean on it, and voila! It's off.
Where there's a will......
nb

a "Bolt-Out" makes quick work of even the most stubborn locking lugs... unless you have $1000 apiece BBS mags, probably the extra security is not worth the effort. And if you DO have BBSes, you probably have a Porsche or BMW with factory wheel locks that are more secure than your average parts store deal.
nate

OTOH, if it's a Porsche or BMW, why not take the whole damned car?

s.com...
You haven't seen a true tamper proof or security fastener until you get your hands on some Key-Rex fasteners by Bryce Fastener...
http://www.brycefastener.com /
The Key-Rex and Key-Lok are unique to the purchaser, and then there are other fastener types which are still restricted but less secure, Penta-Plus is something several steps up from "security torx or security allen screws" with the small pin in the center...
~~ Evan

No doubt nice, but saying it's impossible to duplicate is marketing hyperbole, no? If they want to get in badly enough, they can get in. You're just trying to slow them down to the point that the effort, expense , and increased risk of discovery due to being slowed down makes the stuff you're trying to protect a less appealing target than somebody else's stuff.
On 1/25/2011 10:12 AM, Evan wrote:

That's them, those are the screws. The store manager keeps the darn screwdriver bit in the office safe. :-)
TDD
On 1/25/2011 10:12 AM, Evan wrote:

I had a problem with the special bit shattering during an installation and it took them forever to get a replacement bit so I could finish up.
TDD

ups.com...
I used to have a co-worker who had problems with breaking bits and stripping screws on many things... I took away his cordless drill and told him that it should only be used for drilling, not fastening as he clearly couldn't tell when and where the cordless COULD be used in place of a set of screwdrivers... He stopped going through bits and screws so fast...
We used the Key-Rex screws on door hardware so that no one could disassemble the locking hardware on the doors in the facility as there had been a semi-long term issue with a few tenants unscrewing the interior crash bars on some of the exterior doors to unlock them or dog them open... When I left, no door could be tampered with anymore and there were no longer rashes of thefts and burglaries in the complex...
~~ Evan
On 1/25/2011 8:29 PM, Evan wrote:

I shattered the bit by hand. I didn't break it when I used my driver/ drill which I also used to drill pilot holes. :-)
TDD

The screws holding the plates on my outlets are random. I just looked over at the wall switch, all horizontal. ;-)

I do hundreds of things that the homeowner will never see and would never notice on every job. I think that paying attention to detail means all details. I don't like Holmes on Holmes, and I think he's a putz (at least he comes across that way on the tube), but on this we agree.
RicodJour wrote:

I'd want the screws tightened properly. Having them all lined up looks like someone's playing games rather than doing a good job.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

They are not mutually exclusive, Tonto. And, for the record, for those that don't know any better, most of what a professional does looks like they're just playing games. Funnily enough, you still get the benefit from those "games" whether you understand them or not.
On 1/24/2011 10:24 AM, rlz wrote:

I had an architect insist on a vertical screw slot on outlet and switch plates because the groove will collect dust if it is horizontal. :-)
TDD

That's the best explanation I've heard as to *why* vertical in particular.
I just do it that way in case a pro looks at something that I've done, I don't want him to shake his head and say "f'ing amateurs."
I also use spec-grade devices whenever possible and NEVER use a backstab. If I need the extra connection, I use a pigtail and wire nut. If I am using a metal box with Madison straps, I wrap the device with electrical tape before putting it back in the box.
Now one could say that using spec grade stuff and always using the screw terminals etc. is far, far more important than aligning your screw heads. I'd agree. But it's all part of the overall job and when doing it 100% per code and standard practice is easy, why only do 90%?
nate
On 1/25/2011 9:11 AM, N8N wrote:

Today me and the crew almost finished up running a pair of 12-2 W/GR MC cable circuits 225 feet long, up in the ceiling of a drug store. I insist it be done correctly with butterfly clips securing the cable to the grid tie wires. A lot of jack legs will just lay the MC cable on top of the grid and light fixtures and not secure it to anything. The company we're doing it for has a female project manager who can't understand why we needed an electric sky-lift to run the cable up in the 20 foot ceilings. The last guy didn't need all that and take so much time. He simply hijacked a circuit at the front of the store and never installed a separate dedicated circuit as required in the specs. Yea, he didn't need fire stop compound to seal around the conduit going through the firewall and he didn't have to install Unistrut or junction boxes and install anchors or all that hardware. Why couldn't we just pop it in in a few hours as opposed to a few workdays? :-)
TDD
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[snip]

What pleases MY eye it what is more useful. Toilet paper dispensed off the top of the roll makes it easier to see and access the end.
And I'd rather have a towel next to the kitchen sink, than plastic mistletoe.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
On 1/24/2011 7:13 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Mistletoes have a tendency to take off and fly away without warning. :-)
TDD
On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 20:00:10 -0600, The Daring Dufas

I've heard of athlete's foot, but mistletoes?
[snip]

I don't know what else they could have been.
BTW, the towel was hidden in the cabinet.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us