I want outlets like this.

Page 1 of 5
See outlet in picture.
http://assets.gearlive.com/blogimages/230-mpg-chevy-volt-thumb-579x440-22138.jpg
I like the smiley face. Those regular outlets look like they are scared. (Probably afraid of getting electrocuted).
On 1/23/2011 11:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

http://assets.gearlive.com/blogimages/230-mpg-chevy-volt-thumb-579x440-22138.jpg
Only one problem, the outlet is upside down. I know, it's only lately that engineers and electrical inspectors have been pushing for the ground at the top. :-)
TDD
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 23:54:48 -0600, The Daring Dufas

When I worked for IBM, all of their outlets in the labs were ground-pin up. Makes sense, actually.
On 1/24/2011 12:15 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Now only if all the manufacturers would make their right angle plugs to work with them. I like the replacement plugs that can be oriented either way for the equipment I work on. :-)
TDD

Someone put the outlets upside down in my kitchen. When I moved in, I soon found out I could not use any of them because none of the appliances had the correct plug. All of the plugs had the ground on the bottom. I phoned all the hardware stores in town and no one had the plugs with the ground on the top. I finally had to hire an electrician and have all those outlets replaced with the type that have the ground on the bottom. Cost me plenty too....
On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 01:56:12 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

I bet if you'd asked over on alt.home.repair someone would have told you how to do it yourself. ;-)

I have one surge strip with a RA plug with a rotating head. I like it because I installed all the replacement receps in my upstairs ground- pin-up for reasons explained on this NG previously. I was using the old school .040" pressed brass plates so it seemed like a good idea. Wish I could remember who made said strip, but if anyone cares I will look tonight.
nate
On 1/24/2011 9:35 AM, N8N wrote:

I missed that. The only reason I can think of is that right angle plugs won't fit if the outlet is near the floor. That's a good reason, is there another? Googling gives something about loose metal falling on loose plugs, so the metal strikes ground, and something about the longer ground pin holding in the plug. Can't say that I see that as a problem in residential. Looking at the outlets I've put in, they are sideways!
Can't decide: http://www.360electrical.com /
Jeff
I was using the

On Jan 24, 1:15am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Here we go again! ;-)
Too obvious. 2/10 :)
nate
On Jan 24, 9:41am, "Stormin Mormon"

On Jan 24, 9:41am, "Stormin Mormon"

re: "Toilet paper is supposed to dispense off the top of the roll."
Wrong.
When toilet paper is dispensed off the top of the roll, there is a space between the hanging end and the wall/cabinet. Ugly!
By dispensing the paper off the bottom (back) of the roll, the hanging strip is against the wall/cabinet, which is more asthetically pleasing.
You may not have considered this before, but try it sometime and tell me which one pleases your eye more.

.
On Holmes on Homes yesterday, Mike Holmes said that he makes sure that the two screws that hold an electrical plate on are always in the vertical position. Personally, I think that is a little anal retentive. Like a homeowner is going to notice that after a major remodeling job.
Robin

Did he say why?

om...
He said it looked more professional.

.com...
He's right.
rlz wrote:
[snip]

Even when they're LOOSE?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

A pro wouldn't leave them loose, either. There's enough give in a switch plate to add a little extra rotation on the screw after it's "tight enough" to align the screw heads. Think about it, they're 6-32 screws, so absolute worst case you'd be pulling the switch plate in slightly less than 1/64" to align the screw head. Not an issue at all in practice.
nate

most commercial electricians will do that, it's standard practice.
nate

om...
There are a total of 13 screws holding on various switch plates in my office, which is in an suburban office park. The building was remodeled about 4 years ago, so the office is fairly "new".
All 13 screws have the screw slot set vertically.
I just took a stroll down to the 1st floor where they are putting the finishing touches on a complete gut/remodeling as we combine 2 office locations. Every screw that I looked at, whether it was in a hallway, in an office or under the cubicle furniture, was vertical.

.com...
yup, it's just one of those little things that shows pride in your work.
If you have an electrican do work for you and the screw slots are *not* all aligned, that might be a sign that you should check some of their other work.
I'm not saying that either if they *are* aligned that you necessarily got a good job, or if they are *not* aligned that you got a bad job, but it is pretty much universal for a pro sparky to align the slots, so lack of alignment I consider to be somewhat worrisome.
nate