I want outlets like this.

See outlet in picture.

I like the smiley face. Those regular outlets look like they are scared. (Probably afraid of getting electrocuted).

Reply to
jw

Only one problem, the outlet is upside down. I know, it's only lately that engineers and electrical inspectors have been pushing for the ground at the top. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

On 1/23/2011 9:20 PM snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com spake thus:

That would be kewl, actually. Hey, maybe I can make a tool to pound ground pins into a curve to fit them!

And they get 23 MPG too ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

When I worked for IBM, all of their outlets in the labs were ground-pin up. Makes sense, actually.

Reply to
krw

Now only if all the manufacturers would make their right angle plugs to work with them. I like the replacement plugs that can be oriented either way for the equipment I work on. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Someone put the outlets upside down in my kitchen. When I moved in, I soon found out I could not use any of them because none of the appliances had the correct plug. All of the plugs had the ground on the bottom. I phoned all the hardware stores in town and no one had the plugs with the ground on the top. I finally had to hire an electrician and have all those outlets replaced with the type that have the ground on the bottom. Cost me plenty too....

Reply to
jw

Here we go again! ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I suppose the Chinese made cars will use a 6-30R:

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

I'm glad they finally caught on. I was putting ground up in the 70s and had to plead my case with an inspector who commented on them. Finally he shrugged, and said he couldn't flunk me for it, but thought I was crazy.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Hey, it's even red! :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I have one surge strip with a RA plug with a rotating head. I like it because I installed all the replacement receps in my upstairs ground- pin-up for reasons explained on this NG previously. I was using the old school .040" pressed brass plates so it seemed like a good idea. Wish I could remember who made said strip, but if anyone cares I will look tonight.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Too obvious. 2/10 :)

nate

Reply to
N8N

I missed that. The only reason I can think of is that right angle plugs won't fit if the outlet is near the floor. That's a good reason, is there another? Googling gives something about loose metal falling on loose plugs, so the metal strikes ground, and something about the longer ground pin holding in the plug. Can't say that I see that as a problem in residential. Looking at the outlets I've put in, they are sideways!

Can't decide:

Jeff

I was using the

Reply to
Jeff Thies

snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote the following:

Mine are like that, except they are not smiling. Mine look astonished with open mouths.

Reply to
willshak

re: "Toilet paper is supposed to dispense off the top of the roll."

Wrong.

When toilet paper is dispensed off the top of the roll, there is a space between the hanging end and the wall/cabinet. Ugly!

By dispensing the paper off the bottom (back) of the roll, the hanging strip is against the wall/cabinet, which is more asthetically pleasing.

You may not have considered this before, but try it sometime and tell me which one pleases your eye more.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

.

On Holmes on Homes yesterday, Mike Holmes said that he makes sure that the two screws that hold an electrical plate on are always in the vertical position. Personally, I think that is a little anal retentive. Like a homeowner is going to notice that after a major remodeling job.

Robin

Reply to
rlz

Did he say why?