I want my own 100 gallon propane tank.

Page 4 of 4

-snip-

That blows my theory, then. I thought it was NY law that the company had to own the tank. I'm a couple hours north of you, near Schenectady. I've had 3 suppliers in the last 25 years and none would sell me a tank.
All have been real good about running new supply lines to any appliances I put in. [and only charge for the material- and less than I could get it at the borg]
Jim

Propane dealers are the sleaziest bunch ever. The won't touch a tank that is not theirs. I've not kept up, but some states have changed the laws to make it better for the consumer to shop around.
I've seen 100 gallon tanks for sale. I've also seen people taking them to be filled to save money. I'd have considered it in the past, but I'm not about to start hauling around the tanks and setting them up when full. Yes, I pay a high price for the privilege of having them deliver once a year.

Ed, it is different for every planet. Here where I live, I can take any tank into a supplier, and so long as it is within test dates, and does not have any damage or deterioration that disqualifies it from service, they will fill it.
Steve

You must ask in your own location, Grasshoppah. Some states may have statutes that eliminate private ownership. Liability is a big issue, even if you have everything right, and have the tank inspected, yada yada. I can buy one in my state, Utah, but I would have to live a very long time for it to be a deal. Plus, as the nice propane lady told me, if I have any problem with the tank, they just bring me another one, no charge, no repair. I don't believe that would be the case with a privately owned tank.
If your issue is finding the cheapest propane, and the costs vary enough to make it mathematically justifiable, they by all means, shop around. First, though, ask the basic questions where YOU live, as some of the answers here will be worth the paper they are written on, as they won't be valid where YOU live.
Some suppliers, particularly of propane have been known to have wildly fluctuating prices, taking advantage of some people they have captive by a lease, etc.
Good luck.
Steve
On 9/15/2011 7:26 PM, Steve B wrote:

yep. i own my own 500g tank and shop around when i need my yearly fill. there are 5 large propane suppliers who deliver to my area, and their prices can vary by $1/gallon between high and low. they all require an inspection before the first delivery.