I want my own 100 gallon propane tank.

Page 1 of 4
X-post to alt.building.construction and alt.home.repair
I currently have a 100 gal propane tank owned by the propane company. It is refilled by automatic delivery and the price is set by the company. At one time I had a tank owned by another propane supplier. I switched from that company to the company I currently use. This required that the old company had to come and remove their tank. I was reimbursed for the propane left in the old tank. The new company installed their tank and I was locked into whatever price they charged. I want to own my own tank so I can shop around for the best price when having my tank refilled, much like I do with my fuel oil tank. Having googled for 100 gal propane tanks, it seems that no one sells these large tanks to the general public. Even eBay does not have any new or used tanks for sale (Your search returned 0 items). Anyone have any ideas?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I can't help you with your quest, but have you asked the propane companies if they'd have issues with filling a largish tank owned by the customer? There might be liability issues that would throw a wrench in your plans. Filling their own tanks keeps the liability within their control. There might be insurance issues that prevent them from filling your tank. They might also have issues with filling a tank where there's no 'contract' or assurance of continuity. Automatic delivery is the easiest thing for them. Changing customers costs the company money.
I think those questions have to be answered before you start shopping.

I've seen them for sale on cl. They might have date stamps on them so watch for that. I can't imagine a proane company not filling a tank just because they don't own it. I own my grill tanks. I own my actelene/oxygen tanks.
jamesgangnc wrote the following:

I would guess that it depends upon the size of the tank. Anyone can buy 4.25 lb. grill propane tanks. I don't know about oxy/acetylene tanks since I haven't used them since my Navy days 50 years ago, but I remember them having tanks the thickness of some armored vehicle bodies (not Tanks).
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

willshak wrote:

Actually, you want a 120 gallon tank. No one will fill more than 80% full so that gves you 96 gallons when full.
The tanks rean't cheap.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Check with local regs. In my case, my tank is one gallon short of being a size that has to be located a long distance from the house. Running a pipe from a tank to the house isn't THAT expensive, but it does incur additional expense. Find out what the laws are where YOU live. What someone suggests here for you to do may be illegal where you are.
Steve
--
Please go to my facebook page, Heart Surgery Survival Guide and LIKE me so I
can get my domain name.

I have seen 100# (pounds not gallon) LPG tanks for sale. I have one but no longer use it. When I used it, I simply put it in the back of my car and drove it down to a "re-fill" place. The "re-fill" place was run out of the office of a trailer park and was set up as much as a convenience for the trailer owners as outsiders.
Many folks take the 20# tanks to "re-fill" places rather than the tank exchange places. It's usually about $5 cheaper to re-fill over exchange. When you tank gets to be "re-proofed" you simply take it to an exchange place and hope you get one with more time left. Many exchange places don't give the customer the choice of tank.
There is a "heavy duty" LPG tank intended for use of LPG powered fork lifts and other wheeled equipment that have a battery powered counterpart. In many/most places these LPG fork lift trucks with the heavy duty tanks can be used in large but enclosed spaces like warehouses. The extra heavy construction makes the tank safe from being punctured in a "reasonable" industrial accident.

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 23:23:07 -0400, John Gilmer

Actually, MOST fork lift tanks are aluminum instead of steel - making them easier to manhandle - but no stronger than a "camper" tank.
Most are also "liquid takeoff" rather than "vapout take-off" tanks.

http://tinyurl.com/100gtank -----
- gpsman
On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 10:52:21 -0700 (PDT), gpsman wrote:

Except for the fact that those that are listed are designated in pounds, not gallons. http://www.google.com/search?q 0+gallon+propane+tank&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&tbm=shop&source=hp&q=worthington+cylinders+propane+tank&pbx=1&oq=worthington+cylinders+propane+tank&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl$305l31632l0l32576l34l30l0l3l3l3l692l7800l0.7.11.5.2.2l27l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp2ed9ac4dc6a4e4&biw09&bih1

Huh...
Well, that the first time that ever happened! -----
- gpsman
Rico dJour wrote the following:

Yeah, I kinda assumed that when I couldn't find the tanks on line. Propane is explosive, unlike fuel oil. Maybe I should just abandon the idea.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Geez, Bill. I try to talk you out of something and I succeed on the first attempt? Where's the fun in that?! ;)
I really have no experience whatsoever with propane other than the little tanks, and I have no idea of whether large tanks are available for consumer purchase. I just raised some questions about potential problems from the distributor's viewpoint and that those should be addressed before running out an buying one.
Don't give up hope!
RicodJour wrote the following:

Actually, propane scares the shit out of me. 2 incidents come to mind. 1. Back about 1963 I lived 2 streets up a hill from a small propane tank farm on Rt. 9W in Congers, NY. I could see parts of the farm through the trees from my house. One morning, my wife awakened me to tell me there was a fire at the farm. From our front yard I watched grill sized propane tanks spewing fire being launched in all directions, one coming close to hitting my house. The larger tanks did not fly so far, but their screw-on caps did. There were also 100' tall pillars of fire coming from the fill tubes of underground tanks. No one was killed or injured, and the highway had to be closed. The cleanup took a long time afterwards. I think there are still some tank missiles hiding in the wooded areas around the farm and in the lake on the other side of the highway. It was never rebuilt.
2. I had a Member's Mark (Sam's Club) grill. It was a large grill with a cabinet underneath to store stuff. I had two of the usual grill propane tanks, one hooked up and the other stored under the grill in the cabinet. During the grilling one time, the first tank ran out. I unhooked it and reached into the cabinet for the spare tank and burned my hand grabbing the tank. It was too hot to handle due to it being right under and close to the grill bottom. I never stored a tank under there again. My next and current grill has a full width heat shield in the cabinet attached a few inches under the grill and the cabinet has a special construction in the floor to prevent the tank from tipping when moving the grill, but I never stored the extra tank in there anyway.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

When I was a middling lad a neighbor's house blew up like someone dropped a bomb on it. A propane tank in the garage somehow went off. No idea of the size of the tank, but it's an area that the only propane used is for gas grills. The wife died, the husband lived, and parts of the house were found hundreds of yards away.
On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 12:37:18 -0700 (PDT), Rico dJour

I was getting some hope from these stories. My wife has been pushing me for a few years to get a propane Weber. Thought I could use these stories to shut her up. But I just can't do that. Too many using them with no problem.
--Vic

Home made (accidentally) FAE. The tank "going off" would likely have just burned the house down. If the house was blown into little pieces, then what most likely happened was that a leaking tank filled the garage with just the right mixture of propane and air, and some ignition source detonated that.
Larry Fishel wrote the following:

I have both a fridge and a chest freezer in my attached garage, so either could be a source of ignition of propane fumes. The only fuel I keep in the garage is a 5 gallon plastic gasoline can, and then only in the winter when I keep my garden tractor equipped with a snow blower attachment in there, which also contains gasoline. I have to keep the tractor in there in the winter because I can't leave it out in the shed, like I can do in the summer when it has a mower attached, because the throttle and choke cables freeze up to where they are useless and the tractor won't start. It's a two car garage but a car was only parked in there when the house was new. There's no room for a car in there anymore. I have to move stuff around just to get the tractor in there. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Home made (accidentally) FAE. The tank "going off" would likely have just burned the house down. If the house was blown into little pieces, then what most likely happened was that a leaking tank filled the garage with just the right mixture of propane and air, and some ignition source detonated that.
reply: My in-law's house was destroyed like that while they were away. The blast blew bricks for a long distance. Blew out windows a good ways away, too. Sabotage was suspected, as my FIL was involved in a nasty lawsuit at the time, but nothing was ever proven. In his case, he had natural gas appliances. Pilot lights. It would not be hard for someone to enter, loosen a nut, and be gone. The explosion would be many hours later.
Steve