I want my electric changed from AC to DC

Page 2 of 3

I said nothing about Ohm's law being nonsense.

Partially. It doesn't take much energy to kill and more isn't going to make you any deader. Skin has a very non-linear resistance so Ohm's law doesn't hold, at least as stated.

So you don't consider death by fibrillation to be "damage"? How far you have to move the goal posts to justify your nonsense isn't important. You've stated a falshood that could get someone in trouble.

Keep talking, then read what you've written.
On 4/8/2010 1:43 PM, keith wrote:

have referred to either issue.
In any case, I believe you are still wrong to discount (by saying "nonsense") the fact that damage is related to energy delivered even if, for the purposes of this discussion, I accept your definition of damage to include death by fibrillation (not defibrillation as you wrote). You seem to be confusing or at least conflating the specific issue of pathway through the body with the conceptual issue of sufficient energy to produce a specifically defined "damage". Surely you have to acknowledge that if the shock delivers insufficient energy, it won't cause any damage, much less death.
Again, what exactly did I say that you consider to be "nonsense" Inquiring minds want to know.

That is *NOT* the same thing as saying that the amount of damage is proportional to the energy. It is most certainly *not*.

Shock damage ~= energy
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 17:52:55 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Oh, and Ohms law has any meaning, here.
On 4/8/2010 6:54 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

explained positions with negative declarative one-liners that are totally devoid of explanation. I'm moving on.

When proven to be the idiot he is, he simply does a hit-and-run. Figures.
On Apr 6, 6:25pm, J snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

With an interconnected power grid, it's vital that all intersections be PRECISELY synchronized. By the way, one consequence of the different power frequencies in Europe and the US was TV standards, which originally were synched to the power lines: European TV had slightly more perceptible flicker, due to a slower frame rate (50 fields per second to our 60), though most Euro systems did have higher definition for reasons unrelated to powerline frequency.
On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 14:37:11 -0500, J snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

DC and AC work EXACTLY the same, except AC reverses irself 50 or 60 times a second. The power is ALL used in the load, either AC or DC.
The big problem with DC is switching it. On AC the current crosses zero twice in each cycle - so 100 or 120 times a second. This quenches the arc - in DC the current is constant and switchgear flashover is always a problem
As for safety - AC and DC are relatively equal as far as shocks are concerned - if 12 volts DC does not give a shock, 12 volts AC won't either. The only difference is a DC shock is a "single hit" while AC is a "buzzzz" WHich is more dangerous? Since AC hurts more, I'd say DC is the more dangerous - easier to ignore??????
On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 22:07:33 -0400, clare wrote:

Lots of old railroad engineers have told me that DC was far worse because it can make muscles contract - and then you can't let go of whatever it is that's causing the shock. Whether there's truth in that, I'm not sure...
I don't know how many 240V AC shocks I've had over the years when I lived in the UK, but certainly quite a few. I'm yet to get zapped by US power... :-)
cheers
Jules
AC was adopted in the US because its easy to transport, stepping up and down voltages to send current cross country.
thomas edison prefered DC, thinking it was safer

Thomas Edison preferred DC because he built his power system on DC and AC was developed by a competitor (Tesla, working for Westinghouse).
On Apr 7, 7:31am, Jules Richardson

There is.

It hurts too, but our normal household service is half (120V) of what you have. A 240V outlet, only used for large appliances, has two such wires (the 240V is split with a center tap tied to ground) but you'd have to work to get across both wires.
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 12:31:47 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson

to cramp your muscles on AC it reverses and you have a chance to let go - On DC it is constant polarity and your muscle never relaxes.
On Apr 7, 6:38pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

How the hell can you have time to let go when the whole AC cycle is 1/60 of a second, the amount of time the voltage is close to zero, being but a small fraction of that?
On DC it is constant polarity and your muscle never relaxes.- Hide quoted text -

with AC the contraction is not as strong and steady as with DC because it is (a) interupted (b) reduced to RMS and possibly (c) reduced due to palarity reversal

=============================================== So, in your little mind, AC is just as dangerous as DC, right? Get a clue....
--
EA

On DC it is constant polarity and your muscle never relaxes.- Hide
quoted text -
On Apr 6, 3:37pm, J snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Whether it's AC or DC the current flows from the source, through the load and back to the source. It matters not a wit whether it's AC or DC from a metering or usage standpoint. The only difference is that with AC the direction of the current changes once during each cycle.
[snip]

"once" here means twice.
On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 14:37:11 -0500, J snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:
[snip]

The meters they use have a special "return coil" on the neutral wire. This has the effect of reducing the meter reading by the amount of returned power. However, in one independent test done in 2008 showed that 83.7% of power-company-owned meters have the return coil connected backward. You need to contact your power company to make sure your return coil is connected properly. They are required to provide this service free of charge at last once every 5 years or sooner if the meter has been replaced.
[snip]
Ivan wrote:

Freezer, Refrigerator, TV, stereo, appliances, tools, nothing will work on DC unless you change it all out with DC appliances. Build your own rectifier bridge and make your own DC. Solar panels put out DC, get some of those.
--
LSMFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens.........