I Want A Drone (To Check My Gutters)

Page 1 of 2
How little can I spend on a drone that I can use to check and see when my gutters need to be cleaned? The highest part of the house can be reached with a 28' extension ladder.
Options? Specific suggestions?
(This should be fun)
On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 20:11:14 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yeah, drag out the ladder anyway, you'll need it to retrieve the drone.

LOL! Ditto to that. Neighbor kids are always coming over.... can we go in your back yard and get our "drone."
I agree it would be fun. Check out the quadcopters at the neighborhood RC hobby shop and fasten your cell camera to it? I have heard vibration can be a problem.
On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 11:24:24 AM UTC-4, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

If I'm going to need a ladder to retrieve the drone, I sure don't want to send my cell phone up with it. ;-)

heard vibration can be a problem.

Get a quadcopter for $60 and one of those $10 prepaid cell phones. Don't activate the phone - just start the video when you're ready to go and view it later. Cheap "drones" start at $500.
On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 11:49:29 AM UTC-4, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

can be a problem.

w it later. Cheap "drones" start at $500.
Well, I guess that's just a matter of semantics.
Technically, a quadcopter *is* a drone...
Stolen without permission from:
http://quadcopterhq.com/is-a-quadcopter-a-drone/
*** Begin Stolen Text ***
Is a quadcopter a drone? Or a UAV?
Technically, yes – quadcopters are both drones and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV). But they differ significantly from what most people think of when th ey hear the word drone. A drone, or an unmanned aerial vehicle (or UAS ? ? unmanned aerial system), is simply an aircraft without a human pilot on boa rd it. One could make the case that a quadcopter like the Walkera Ladybird is hardly an “aircraft” given its small size, but technically it is. As you move towards the larger quadcopters, such as the DJI Phantom or the professional grade videography models, it is easier to conceive of these quads as aircraft.
*** End Stolen Text ***

[...]

For scoping out the roof, what about a helium balloon? Can't get much lower cost than that.
in message

[...]

Or just attaching a camera to a few lengths of conduit. Although, that eliminates the justification to get a drone.... LOL
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 11:02:59 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
The quadcopter is a good idea. I'm sure that's what Dad meant when he said drone, since a plane won't work.

paint the house, and I have an extendable pipe that curves over at the top that I bought to flush out my gutters, which last summer were overflowing for the first time since I've been here.** I taped the pipe to the top end of the pole, taped a camera to the top of the pipe, and stood about 4 steps up on a ladder, to video the gutters. I used a USB camera with a 20 foot amplified USB cable, going to my laptop.
The camera worked but it was spherical and hard to keep in place, pointed down. Plus the pole was hard to control and didn't always stay perfectly straight. I could surely get the camera over a particular place but it was hard to move it slowly down the gutter to look at all of it. Partly because I was on a ladder, but mostly because the pole was so long.
Since then I've bought a camera that is not spherical and woudl work much better, but I guess I've lost interest. For the front, I used the extendable pole with the extendable pipe, and I succssfully flushed out the front gutter, so half my incentive is gone.
**In fact when I was up there for various reasons, they never even had leaves in them, despite all the tall trees only 20 -30 feet from the house. But I think the cottonwood tree, part of which fell on my yard and seemed to have some tar-like stuff in it, got in the gutter and clogged the gutter (not the downspout).
On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 4:18:57 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:

A quadcopter is a drone. I posted the definition earlier in this thread.
On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 11:13:10 PM UTC-4, Mike Duffy wrote:

Spot on. 4-5 months ago I tied a water bottle to a rope to lasso the damn thing off the roof. If you take my approach, be sure to catch it on the way down. Hard landings are not liked.
On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 2:20:17 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:

I'll just buy a rescue drone. ;-)
On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 2:20:17 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:

How did the drone end up needing to be lassoed?
On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 3:12:09 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I can't fly for shit. I'm pretty sure the drone could not handle bright sunlight. Maybe I had a line-of-sight drone? No idea really.
I bought my first rc plane a few years ago. The shop owner asked if I was advanced enough to fly this model. Of course I am. How hard could it be? 10 seconds in the air and 300 bucks down the drain. WOW.
On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 11:52:40 AM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:

You were either very good or very lucky to get the plane to fly down the drain. Either way, I'm impressed.

Find one that will clean the inspect the gutters then, if necessary, CLEAN them too. If it works well let us know what one you bought. ;-)
On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 11:46:24 PM UTC-4, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Was that English?
On 8/16/2016 5:29 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I think he should just stick with emoticons.

It was suppose to be:
Find one that will inspect the gutters then, if necessary, CLEAN them too. If it works well let us know what one you bought. ;-)
On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 12:03:05 PM UTC-4, Gordon Shumway wrote:

It's been done, but it won't work for my situation. I see how they can be used to clean out dry leaves, but once things get wet and the tree debris begins to turn to mush, this technique will either 1) not work at all, or 2) make a real mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmIJt8NUosI