I've gone Bosch!

Not sure I understand your above paragraph. Bosch is substantially more expensive than most. I paid $180 for their 12V drill kit vs. $100, or so, for the 18V Dewalt. The Bosch purchased from Lowes and the Dewalt from the BORG.

Try a Chrysler.

Reply to
keith

Well, I don't work on vehicles. I find it much less frustrating to just pay the freight and move on. But I do agree, they seem to be engineered by a plumber that just got an electronics degree.

Reply to
The Post Quartermaster

Not sure I understand your above paragraph. Bosch is substantially more expensive than most. I paid $180 for their 12V drill kit vs. $100, or so, for the 18V Dewalt. The Bosch purchased from Lowes and the Dewalt from the BORG.

Try a Chrysler.

Chryslers are very trying.

Reply to
The Post Quartermaster

A lot of Ridgid's tools are made in the US, if you count the area around Cleveland, Ohio as part of the US. ;-)

I didn't until they drafted Colt McCoy.

Reply to
The Post Quartermaster

I just got off the phone with Porter/Cable trying to find a battery charger model 8624. You know what? Those people just simply don't care. They simply don't care. They laughed and told me it was obsolete. I said I guess I'm out of luck and they just laughed again and said you got it. I hope they, Dewalt, Delta and everyone else associated with them go broke.

Reply to
The Post Quartermaster

LOL!!...

That's a keeper. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

By Chrysler, I guess you mean Mopar. Can't say anymore. My experience was years ago. But, some examples between my Dodge vans and my Ford van:

Time to remove inside engine cowling:

74' Dogde = 10 secs 91' Ford = 1 hr

Time to separate auto trans linkage joint:

74' Dodge = 15 secs 91' Ford = 45 mins (without $57 tool)

Time to change new spark plug harness:

74' Dodge = 5 mins 91' Ford = hadda hire a Hobbit!!

It's like Ford hires engineers to make dealing with a simple mechanical device 9 times more difficult than is necessary. Very strange.

nb

Reply to
notbob

My Chryslers were minivans ('85 and '90) and the original Intrepid class ('93 and '96). Nice when new, but absolute junk down the road. Except for the '74 Rustang-II, all my Fords have been decent vehicles. We now drive a '00 Sable and a '01 Ranger. The next will be a Mustang Convertible, so I'm told.

Those aren't fair comparisons at all. That 25 years added a lot of crap (pollution and otherwise) to cars, not to mention CAD, which allowed a lot of weight to be taken out. A *lot* changed in all vehicles.

Reply to
krw

Not sure how you get 25 yrs outta 17 yrs differnce. I've seen '86 Dodge vans. Not that much has changed. As for fair, what's not fair. I've driven, worked on, and owned Fords. IMO, they suck and I'll stay as far away from them as possible. I'll never forget the Ford Taurus that magically burst into flames in the company parking garage 2 hrs after the owner parked it. More brilliant Ford engineering. LOL....

nb

Reply to
notbob

I just go by figuring everything isnt made in the US anymore, PCs battery line at Lowes just felt to cheap and flimsy for me to want a new PC tool, the circular saw was so light it could actualy flex in my hand and the drill didnt feel solid. Im happy with my Ridgid stuff and I work it hard and no complaints so far.

Reply to
ransley

.

I have an old Rockwell circular saw, its still great, Porter cable bought Rockwell in the mid 80s, now I see Rockwell brand at Menards, hey its all chinese stuff now, who knows what is what, but Ridgids warranty is best and they are solidly made, who knows maybe Bosch makes some of ridgids stuff, I see a few tools that have the designs and makings of another brand.

Reply to
ransley

I have an old Rockwell circular saw, its still great, Porter cable bought Rockwell in the mid 80s, now I see Rockwell brand at Menards, hey its all chinese stuff now, who knows what is what, but Ridgids warranty is best and they are solidly made, who knows maybe Bosch makes some of ridgids stuff, I see a few tools that have the designs and makings of another brand.

All of my Bosch tools have a 3 year warranty. Everything else I have was only one year, if that.

Reply to
The Post Quartermaster

I bought a 5 piece Bosch kit in Jan '04 (dated my batteries).

Used it daily for a couple of years. On my 3rd battery (June "07, dated) for casual use.

The 18V hammer/drill, priced separately was about half the cost of the kit. The drill and jig saw are my favorites (great tools). Sawsall can drain a battery pretty fast. The light lens can swivel and is great in a tight space. The cir saw if heavy on the battery, depending on the material.

I've dropped the drill a few times off a ladder and it never broke the case or refused to work. I did accidentally hit a man in the head after he walked by the ladder one day as I brought the drill down to my side.. The drill is heavy and his head hurt. My advise was "stay away if I have tools in my hands."

Reply to
Oren

Isn't 74 - 91 = 15? Hmm I guess I did something wrong in there. ;-)

All later cars are a nightmare to work on. You single out Ford, but what about all those GMs that put the battery in the wheel well, or put spark plugs where they cannot be changed?

Reply to
krw

A lot of tool manufacturers have combined into a few companies (PC, Dewalt, Stanley, Delta, are all one). "Rockwell" of today has *nothing* to do with the Rockwell of the '80s, or before. That company was the ones with the Space Shuttle, and now makes industrial automation stuff (Allen Bradley). Ridgid makes their own tools (I had some early interviews with them a couple of years ago), mostly in the US.

Reply to
krw

PC has become Black & Decker's line of "better" home tools (if you want real junk, it has B&D's name on it). It is junk. Dewalt is their "professional" line; much better, some very good, IMO.

Reply to
krw

On one 60's era Chevy, you had loosen a motor mount, jack the engine slightly -- just to get a spark plug in. PITA.

I'll stay with my Ford Bronco.

Reply to
Oren

My 2001 Impala has a hook on top of the engine for your come-along to jack the engine forward to get to the back 3 plugs. But the good news is I didn't need to change them- but did anyway at about 100K.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

m...

Why doesnt Ridgid put Made in USA on those tools, they would sell alot more, when I pick up my old PC stuff with a made in USA sticker I get pride out of seeing it, and sadnness everything is a chinese ricer today.

Reply to
ransley

Sacred cow mucus screener

Reply to