I've gone Bosch!

Page 1 of 2

After suffering through countless episodes with the fine Dewalt/Porter Cable support system, I've started replacing my power tools with Bosch. About a year ago I had a jig saw go haywire and I jumped through all the hoops on the Dewalt/Delta/Porter Cable website and accomplished nothing. So, I threw the saw in the trash and bought, what I thought was a highly overpriced, Bosch jigsaw. I was simply amazed. The quality is unsurpassed. Well, my Porter Cable drill/driver's 19.2 battery driver went kaput and I went through the hassle with their website again. Before they even responded, which they still haven't, I had purchased, what I thought was a highly overpriced, Bosch 18 volt drill/driver. Once again, the quality is unsurpassed. Next came the Dewalt saw (I have two and one hasn't gone kaput yet). Ever since I had it I was unhappy with the weight and I've always been unhappy with the motor on the left blocking your line of sight. Well, when it went out, I decided I wasn't even going to try their website and I went to Bosch and lo and behold their saw has the motor on the right and the line of sight and the weight makes it an absolute pleasure.
I'm now a 100% Bosch fan and even bought the two Dremel tools, the original and the new multi-task saw which is simply amazing. The only thing that irks me is that it took me 40 years to wise up.
I'm not a paid shill for Bosch but I would be if they asked. <G>
--
Careful how you respond. I have people!

JC

Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 27, 9:13 am, "The Post Quartermaster"

Unsurpassed in the major tool manufacturer's lineup, perhaps, but I've owned DW, Bosch and Festool jigsaws - it's not even close in my opinion. Bosch does make fine tools, though.
The same way you feel about moving up to Bosch is the way I feel about moving up to Festool - why did it take me so long?!
✖

Festool is another doubling in price, though. I recently bought a TS-55 and a OF1400, but my Bosch jigsaw is just fine, thank you. I also have a Dewalt rear swivel circular saw that I like a lot and will still use it for construction projects. The TS-55 is intended for breaking down sheet goods.

Unlike most Festool snobs, I don't think Festool is the end-all. ;-) Their SCMS is completely absurd.
Add pictures here
✖
[snip]

What's "SCMS?"
The Ranger
Add pictures here
✖

Sliding Compound Miter Saw
Add pictures here
✖

Sacred cow mucus screener

Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 27, 9:13 am, "The Post Quartermaster"

re: "...I've always been unhappy with the motor on the left blocking your line of sight."
While that point is not really relevant to the discussion since just about every major brand offers a left-blade circular saw, I'll agree that left-blade circular saws are the better choice for right-handed people.
I switched to a PC "left-blade" circular saw many years ago. It amazing how many people - DIY-ers *and* professionals - don't realize the advantage of using a left-blade circular saw. I was helping a friend build a house and a professional framer buddy of his let me use his left-blade saw saying "Once you go left, you'll never go back."
He was so right!
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 27, 8:13 am, "The Post Quartermaster"

I'm still all Dewalt, but ready to jump ship, I agree they do a poor job of after the sale service. I'll likely just start working another brand in rather than a revolution, but it is nice to have all the cordless tools the same brand.
Add pictures here
✖

I have both Dewalt and Bosch tools, cordless and otherwise. Both have their place. As far as service goes, can't say. I've never had to have any of them serviced. The only parts I've needed are for a PC router and that was quick and painless. That said, I'll likely buy a new SCMS in September and it'll most likely be a Bosch.
Add pictures here
✖
[snip Bosch is Best text]

Oh great. Chop saw; Dewalt. Cordless drill; Dewalt. Circular saw; Dewalt. I was slowly switching over all my Craftsman power tools and here you're providing a warning after that horse has left the barn.
What's lacking in their after-sales support, if I might ask?
The Ranger
Add pictures here
✖

More incompetence than anything else; I bought a stand for my miter saw, I immediately needed a small part to fix it, they never could seem to grasp thatand sent several wrong parts, after they sent me the backbone for the stand, I gave up & put a couple of pop rivets into the little broken part and went on. I bought a second 18v 1/2" hammer drill with 2 batteries to start a new project so I'd have 2 1/2" drills, one of the batteries lasted only about 15 min, so I called them, & was referred to a service center 45 miles away, I'll get it there before the warranty runs out, but a decent thing would have been to send a return box, test it and send out a replacement. They don't have to do better, but the amount I've spent could and will go elsewhere.
Add pictures here
✖

Don't fret, Range! When I worked at LLNL, everyone knew, by heart!, the catalog P/N for the replacement 90 deg gear drive for a Bosch 4-1/2" HS grinder. Not a good sign. ;)
Besides, ALL the professional trades ppl where I now live use DeWalt. This might be attributed to the fact DeWalt is the most carried line in the area, but not the only line. Bosch and Makita are also available. Another thing to keep in mind, we have no HD or Lowe's every 5 miles, either. When a tool fails, one is most likely going to have to wait till the next day or drive 30-50 miles for a replacement. I'd say that speaks volumes for the local faith in DeWalt tools. (otoh, ford is the most popular truck. go figure!)
nb
Add pictures here
✖

I think most of that is because Bosch might be a little out of the price range for most "average" (and I don't mean that maliciously) tradesmen. And you go figure. I was once a Pontiac, Cadillac, GMC dealer and in retirement, I drive a F-250. <G>
Add pictures here
✖
On 2010-07-27, The Post Quartermaster

Not really. Bosch has no real price point advantage, here. Remember, I said no large discount stores. Everything here, except Walmart crap (B&D), is pretty much MSRP.

You either have never had to work on one or have all the insanely overpriced proprietary tools. I think Ford trucks are pretty reliable. Not the most, but right up there. OTOH, as a mechanic, engineering tech, and former Ford owner, I think Ford engineers are fringgin' morons and Ford has the most mechanically preposterous designs I've ever seen or worked on in my life. If I have to work on another Ford vehicle ever again, I'm charging double!!
nb
Add pictures here
✖
ftyone.org> wrote:

Not sure I understand your above paragraph. Bosch is substantially more expensive than most. I paid $180 for their 12V drill kit vs. $100, or so, for the 18V Dewalt. The Bosch purchased from Lowes and the Dewalt from the BORG.

Try a Chrysler.
Add pictures here
✖

Not sure I understand your above paragraph. Bosch is substantially more expensive than most. I paid $180 for their 12V drill kit vs. $100, or so, for the 18V Dewalt. The Bosch purchased from Lowes and the Dewalt from the BORG.

Try a Chrysler.
Chryslers are very trying.

On 2010-07-27, The Post Quartermaster

By Chrysler, I guess you mean Mopar. Can't say anymore. My experience was years ago. But, some examples between my Dodge vans and my Ford van:
Time to remove inside engine cowling: 74' Dogde = 10 secs 91' Ford = 1 hr
Time to separate auto trans linkage joint: 74' Dodge = 15 secs 91' Ford = 45 mins (without $57 tool)
Time to change new spark plug harness: 74' Dodge = 5 mins 91' Ford = hadda hire a Hobbit!!
It's like Ford hires engineers to make dealing with a simple mechanical device 9 times more difficult than is necessary. Very strange.
nb
Add pictures here
✖

My Chryslers were minivans ('85 and '90) and the original Intrepid class ('93 and '96). Nice when new, but absolute junk down the road. Except for the '74 Rustang-II, all my Fords have been decent vehicles. We now drive a '00 Sable and a '01 Ranger. The next will be a Mustang Convertible, so I'm told.

Those aren't fair comparisons at all. That 25 years added a lot of crap (pollution and otherwise) to cars, not to mention CAD, which allowed a lot of weight to be taken out. A *lot* changed in all vehicles.
Add pictures here
✖

Not sure how you get 25 yrs outta 17 yrs differnce. I've seen '86 Dodge vans. Not that much has changed. As for fair, what's not fair. I've driven, worked on, and owned Fords. IMO, they suck and I'll stay as far away from them as possible. I'll never forget the Ford Taurus that magically burst into flames in the company parking garage 2 hrs after the owner parked it. More brilliant Ford engineering. LOL....
nb
Add pictures here
✖

Isn't 74 - 91 = 15? Hmm I guess I did something wrong in there. ;-)

All later cars are a nightmare to work on. You single out Ford, but what about all those GMs that put the battery in the wheel well, or put spark plugs where they cannot be changed?
Add pictures here
✖