I strained my back - OUCH

Damage often cant be seen by xray, mine couldnt even by the best, and the chiropractor told my he might make it worse and he did.
ransley wrote:

fairly certain diagnosis. I've known all kinds of chiro's, and there are some real loonies.........worked on an insurance issue for six year old girl treated for over a year by chiro for a bladder infection. He was doing spinal adjustments. The mother was a regular, too, and they both went for chiro adjustments three times a week, costing thousands (20 years ago). The mom wrote a multi-page letter of appeal to the insurance company, and it was like a textbook description of clinical depression.
Of course, every specialty is capable of having loonie practitioners and some who make pretty bad mistakaes. I took my son to the MD for hives once......doc said he was allergic to pseudoephedrine and prescribed something for the hives. Took the script to the drug store and I was fairly sure the new med. had pseudoephedrine, so I asked the pharmacist. It did. Didn't fill it. Didn't go back tothat MD.
HeyBub wrote:

That is a good point. But when I got my first compressed vertebrae, my Chiropractor told me what it was without seeing an x-ray and told me there was nothing he could do for me except tell me to see a Orthopedic Surgeon.

That is what all Chiropractors are supposed to do. But some are quacks.
Dick
Red Green wrote:

You gotta admire docs that are real people.
I visited my internist shortly after the current pope's election. Knowing my doctor was of Vietnamese extraction, I asked if he was Catholic - I was going to congratulate him on his church's new Pontiff.
His answer:
"Depends on the girl I'm dating at the time."

Excellent advice.
Dick

Any Smart Chiropractor will tell you up front he might make it worse, dont do this.

Been there, done that...
Think about seeing a Dr. I always found muscle relaxants helped a lot, at least temporarily.
My back hurt like you describe for many years. I went thru the x-rays, etc, nothing helped permanently.
Then when I was about 55 I built a deck and patio, something like what you did to hurt yourself in the first place. About a month and a half of hard labor. No pain since then.
Also, my feet hurt. Running cured that. I could have sworn I would not be able to run.
You're going to get a lot of anecdotal stories, none of them (including mine) should be considered sound advice.
I read somewhere that when back pain was scientifically studied, they found that most back pain goes away without explanation.
My own conviction is, if you are not already in good shape, getting in shape is a good cure.
MiamiCuse wrote:

In addition to what most others have said, I'd like to add that a special type of bandage may be of help. I don't know the exact name, but it looks like a corset! You velcro yourself into the thing and it's main purpose, I believe, is to prevent you from aggravating the condition by limiting your range of movement. Swaddling yourself in about two miles of elastic bandage may be a substitute.
Your family doctor is the one to see - that is, a GP, Family Practice, or Internist. What you experienced is common and any physician has seen the exact same thing a zillion times - we're not talking cerebral malaria here. The proper treatement, I believe, is rest, muscle relaxants, and pain killers. The latter two items are available only from a physician (or friendly dentist).
Herbs, homeopathic remedies, vitamins, will be worthless (with the possible exception of caspacian).
most back pain goes away over 4 to 6 weeks on its own, read where over 90% of everyone has occasional back pain.
hurting some is a good sign you got a work out, dont panic take it easy for a week, just normal activities and you will likely be fine till the next big job comes along

You can buy those belts at the corner drug store. In the section where they sell OTC braces and wraps. I use mine once in a while when my back feels sore.

Chiropractors were called quacks one time. Today insurance has it covered. Check the policy.
Go see or call the MD or Chiropractor.

MDs will load you up on Meds. MDs did nothing for me. A Chiro fixed my problems.

I'm very sorry to read that. I've had 14 surgeries in the last 5-1/2 years. Without being loaded up on meds, I don't think I could have taken the pain of half of them.
Dick

Most of the anti drug crusaders haven't experienced the 12 level of pain on a scale of 1 to 10.
Ask anyone in the kidney stone club. Or someone who has had a major major injury or surgery.
I take about 400 doses of meds per month, about 100 of those are pain meds. Some days I take none, and some days, I take four or five.
I'm not going to suffer when there is relief. I don't take them to alter my mood or get goofy.
Steve

I have not had that luxury but I heard someone describe it as: To you it looks like a tiny pea. To me it's a bowling ball covered in barbed wire.

That is a shitload of medication. What happened to you that requires all of that? (I'm not suggesting it's not required; just wondering why.)
I myself was in a plane crash back in the late 80's, suffered an incomplete amputation of one arm (reattached) and crushed a hip. I went through a period of using a lot of pain meds, then nothing at all for a very long time; then by the early 2000s I was using an ungodly amount of NSAIDs. I finally got the crushed hip replaced. Getting rid of the bad hip fixed most of my ongoing problems with low back pain (caused by lurching when I walked). Today I'm not on any medication at all. Nothing. I consider myself very fortunate.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

Knee operation. Three shoulder operations. 8.5 hour 5 way bypass with aortic valve replacement, 1 cm. crush fracture of L1 vertebra, ascending aortic aneurysm, arthritis, degenerative cervical spondylosys, traumatic brain injury, high blood pressure, anticoagulant blood monitoring for heart valve, angina, cholesterol maintenance, and ............ probably something else I can't think of.
When you get older, two things fail you. Memory is the first, and I don't recall the second.

All of the prescription pain medication I've taken (after joint surgery, back pain, etc.) made me sicker than a dog, then vomit. I prefer heating pads, ice pack, and Chi Gong to deal with the pain.