I never throw anything away

Some times it looks like my garage is cluttered but those old bolts etc can be used in other ways. Do you never throw out stuff especially if is has possible multiple use options? Guess it could be called part saving. Funny I save no electronic stuff with the exception of various cables but find the connectors keep changing like UBS or firewall. Sort of makes recycling harder for sure.

Reply to
Bill who putters

I have a problem throwing stuff away too. I have 2 sheds and a room in the house that look like this too.

Your mission, find the Harley in this picture (1970 FLH)

gfretwell

You are a very sick person but I'd guess you know where every thing is sometimes. I intend to keep your image perhaps mount it to keep the neat police at bay.

Sick Bill.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Please start the Harley so we can follow the sound.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Under the boards and behind what looks like a carpet cleaner. Darn! I knew I'd find a use for those X-ray glasses some day. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

FWIW, I think the lost bike is to the right of the grey coil of wire(?) and the left of the rectangular bucket with the blue label with the red line across it. I assume that because the reflective license plate (we have to turn ours in now under serious penalty) is overexposed as it would be in a flash photo at precisely the right angle. What is the vehicle with the red milk crate and orange wire in the back? We have a lot of the same junk, although my wife would fail you big time on the fluorescent lamps stored glass out. (-: And maybe that sky-hooked ladder depending on its moorings.

I have a personal question. Feel free to ignore it. Are you both married, singled, widowed or what? I married late in life, and as part of that Faustian bargain (which has worked out pretty well so far) I agreed to a serious decluttering of my bachelor life style. Implementation, however, has proceeded at Federal contracting speed (as in not much progress for the last 4 years and then a sudden flurry of work as final deliverables come due). (-:

However, a big move (our last, we've agreed) is on the horizon and has brought a sort of shocking realization. Nineteen Pentium 3 and 4 class machines will have to go, the collection of 3/4" furniture-grade plywood and scraps must go, 300' or so feet of double-slotted shelving standards and matching brackets must go (my junk is at least well organized!), stacks of old VCR, receivers, TV's, cassette decks, darkroom gear, CCTV gear, conduit, miles of smurf tube, spools of wire (250' 12-2 Romex NIB OS - marked $14.23 - guess what year I bought *that*), all must go. Oh, the humanity. Not moving looks pretty attractive compared to the ocean of junk that needs to be dealt with!

Anyway, our big concern now is what are of the US (or maybe even outside the US) meets our needs and desires and isn't going to turn into a "tax the property owners to death" state because of the projected shortfalls in local government revenues. She wants to be near an area with good skiing within driving range (mostly because flying is now such a hassle) and I want to live in a climate like San Diego. So far, it's been a tough search.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

A real Harley guy could smell the leaking oil. ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

They have a series of shows on TV these days called "HOARDERS". The guys and gals on tv make you guys seem like beginners.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I see what might be a bike trailer under the flag.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I'm more likely to get rid oft something that is useful than that is not. I'll give away something that I can replace at a store, but lots of things I save I couldn't buy if I tried.

Especially if there is a way to store them. I store long thin things together, flat things together, boxes within each other (although then I forget what is in the biggest box.)

Or firewire. :)

Reply to
Ricky

Right behind the stock HD taillight which is jes under that super reflecting license plate.

Is it for sale?

nb

Reply to
notbob

Married but my wife keeps my junk contained in the garage, shed and my computer room.

I have a room full of PC hardware too.. We have 8 or 9 around the house doing something and I have another dozen in various states of assembly.

Reply to
gfretwell

Well there was a little fire

Make me an offer ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

Club Car golf cart

Reply to
gfretwell

The rule at my shop is that if I throw it out, I will need it within 72 hours. And it doesn't matter that it's been sitting there for ten years or not. And it happens every f time.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Ah - at first I thought the Harley had a side car. I've got a proliferation of power wheelchairs and scooters I bought for about 10 cents on the dollar from Ebay. For a while, it was hard to get hold of good used power chairs because of the BattleBot craze. Anyone know if they still holding tournaments?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Ah, a combination of peaceful co-existence and containment. (-;

Just a room full? (-:

I gradually replaced them with Fujitsu tablets from Ebay that had touch screens ten years before the Ipad showed up and that draw about 17W each (and even less on standby) compared to the 135W the desktops ate. The desktops were all hand-built, and each one was usually a slight improvement over the one it was replacing. The years that PIII's were evolving saw an incredible number of "must have" changes - USB 2.0, XGA, gigabyte hard disks, CD and DVD burners and more. It's not that way anymore. The only thing the old 400-600MHz PC's won't do well is record/process HD TV or play the latest video games (SFW!).

Ironically software of the period has no problem playing MPG files and DVD's, but not versions that are just a few years newer. Now programmers are so used to having oodles of memory, CPU and diskspace that nothing's coded compactly or elegantly anymore. I just bought a Toshiba laptop with Win7 because a few sites we deal with demand more recent software than W2KPro, but I hate it. I would like to know how much productivity has been lost nationwide having people learn new ways of doing things that aren't really better, just different. I recall Steve Jobs saying that Apple's quicker boot time saved the world thousands of man years when you add up all the time people sit around waiting for their PC's to boot up. I mean why change "Find" to "Search" unless you're just out to confuse your customers?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I once tossed a pile of machine covers, never needed them.

put them in pile outside, had ice storm and snow so they didnt finish their trip to the garbage.

a day later i needed one of those covers, ended up digging it out of the ice and sold it:) a quick 50 bucks:) plus a very long term customer:)

Reply to
hallerb

I still have stuff my grandfather couldn't throw away, why should I throw away my own stuff?

Reply to
dgk

heh heh.... with that king/queen seat on a perfectly fine dresser, the poor bike probably committed self-immolation.

Naw. Jes curious. I retired my asphalt eating ass from two wheels, also. As my geezer ex-riding buddy so succinctly put it, "I don't bounce worth a damn, no more." ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob