I need to replace an outlet for a dryer


I need to reinstall an outlet for my dryer. I was getting a slight shock before. I used that outlet for my kitchen oven. Is this hard to do, I bought an outlet at a hardware store..is there anything special i should know?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
message

It is a quick job if you know what you are doing. It is deadly if you don't. I have no idea what you have or what you bought so I'm not about to give advice. You MUST find the reason for the shock and correct it. Sometimes it is cheaper to hire a pro. Meantime, if you elect to go ahead, check your life insurance and be sure it is paid up.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Hold on a minute while I contact my professional therapist to see if I am allowed to reply to this message. OK, I got the get go on this message.......
I always hire a pro for EVERYTHING I do. Even if I got to take a shit, I hire a pro to do it for me. We are all idiots in all ways. Only the pros can do things safely and correctly. Damn it, I got to take a piss. I better call a pro to handle it for me.... I'll be back after the professional typist that is typing this message for me calls a professional coffee service to make him a cup of coffee, and the professional that is managing my computer software contacts his professional software programmer, and while I call a professional to help me take my piss, while my professional bathroom cleaner takes a break, which of course means he will have to contact his professional break management crew. ......
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
For one thing, you need to be more specific about the outlet. If it is a gas dryer, you're talking about a 120 volt 15 or 20 amp outlet. If it's an electric dryer, its either a 30 amp 3 or 4 wire. Your kitchen range, if electric, probably used a 50 amp 3 or 4 wire
message

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
RBM (remove this) wrote:

. All good points. Just replacing the outlet won't necessarily fix the problem. Sounds like something else is wrong and/or not wired correctly. Would hate that someon get a deadly shock off that dryer; so easy to do if handling wet clothes and/or touching the dryer as well
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:09:30 -0600, "sonia snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

One of those connections to your outlet is a ground. And there are a couple of hot wires.
The most important thing, since you are getting shocks, is to make sure your ground wire is actually grounded properly. A digital multimeter should show close to zero ohms and you should try to trace the wire and tighten all the connections on it.
Then in addition to the plug, run a safety ground wire between the appliances and tie it to a good ground.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
If you're getting a shock, there is something wrong in the appliance. Please call an electrician.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.