I need plans for horse drawn vehicles

Page 3 of 3
Goedjn wrote:

This I need to see.
In a peer reviewed sort of context.
....Brock.

Assuming for a moment that you are serious, please consider all the excellent posts to date. I will repeat only one of them. Gas is a lot cheaper than feeding a horse.
Now on to reality 101. Horses that are saddle broken are generally not harness broken or trained. They frequently do not have the physical stature to pull. There are riding horses, work horses and carriage horses. The latter two are somewhat interchangeable.
The carriage will be the least of your expenses in money or time. The harnesses will be expensive and must be maintained with frequent care and oiling. Rivets and tears must be replaced and you will need a nice dry place to store all this stuff. The time required to harness your horse(s) will add 1-1/12 hours to each trip you take and if you are a responsible owner another hour per trip to care for your horse.
Colbyt
Colbyt wrote:

I recall reading more than once that when the automobile started making inroads it was heralded in big cities as a polution reducer.
That was because of the cost of the armies of guys with shovels and wheeled barrels who had to clean the horse shit off the streets every day.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:37:36 GMT, "Colbyt"

Yes, I am very serious about this.
As I already said, I already have the horses.
You must know about horses, since you are right on the money as far as what you say. At the same time, I have two horses that were used for driving in the past. They were used in parades and events for public carriage rides. They have not been driven in 3 years, so I will have to work with them some before I use them. However, they are trained for harness, either as a team, or individually. By the way, they are both from Welsh Cob mares bred to the same stallion, who is a Paint and Shire cross, They resemble the Irish Tinker horses. One of them is a galding, the other a stallion, and the stallion is the better driver of the two.
I also have the harnessing for both a team, (with driving collars), and an individual breast collar harness. I got them at an auction when a horse facility shut down, and they are in good condition, in fact the single harness is nearly new. I will have to get a new collar for the team harness though, damn mice chewed it up.
I also have a shed for storing all the stuff too.
I do a little horse driving now. I drive our Shetland stallion pony on a small cart that has bicycle tires, and he is an excellent pony. I have lots of fun driving him. I just want to "upgrade" and in the process get some practical use out of my "fun". I know it takes time to go anywhere, but we all need time to relax and ponder life. I have the advantage of mostly all gravel back roads to drive to town too. The asphalted road is a little shorter distance, but I'd prefer staying out of heavy traffic.
I just want to build my own carriage, because I like to build things, and the ones I have seen at sales are far too costly for my wallet. I am not all that interested in "fancy", I more want something that is practical and useful. I probably have darn near everything to build it already. I got a whole shed full of lumber, lots of useful scrap metal, several old hay wagons with tires, carpentry tools and a welder.
Mark
I just want to "upgrade" and in the

I like your style, Mark - good luck with your project.

<snipped>
Actually that is from childhood experiences. My grandfather farmed using horses until about 1962. I used to tag along. I even got to ride "Nell" to the barn most nights. :))
Timely topic. There was an article in this morning's newspaper about carriages and the "carriage association" relocating to the Ky Horse park. They may have some information for you and here is a link to the article:
http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/local/12385753.htm
Have fun.
Colbyt
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:06:33 GMT, "Colbyt"

I bet you had fun with Nell. I was raised in the city so I missed all of that, but in the early 80's I moved to the country and got a horse. Now I got too many horses, but I truely love them, and I could spend my money on much worse things. Besides, when life gets me stressed, all I got to do is go in the barn and let the horses relax me, and one of them likes to rub her head on me, and that is very soothing for tight muscles.
Thanks for the article. That was interesting.
I will take pictures as I build this. I am really looking forward to completing it. I wanted to do it before the gas prices got high, but it was more for fun at that time. Now it will be both for fun and for transportation.
This has been an interesting thread and I got lots of good info. I also just found out there are some Amish people that live about 10 miles from here, so maybe they can help too.
Thanks to all.
PS, If gas prices keep rising, I might be a trendsetter :)
Mark

If gas prices keep rising you will be one of the few that has transportation.
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Have you contacted any Amish? I believe they use some excellent fiberglass bodied buggies these days.
Or, try this site:
http://www.mcinnisindustries.com/buggy_nf.html
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Some posters here have some good ideas, particularly the leads to the Amish. But consider that many materials available today were not accessable to the 1800's and before: Aluminum, fiberglass, air/oil shocks and struts, plastic composites and pneumatic tires, to name a few. Another source for plans might be old patent documents from the 1800's. The US patent office is pretty lame about getting these older documents online, but the UK and European Patent offices are rich sources of ideas for you.(you can find them on Google, and the USPTO.gov has links to them) If you decide to go ahead with your project, would you do us the favor of sharing your research? You could build a good website that many will find interesting and useful. Best wishes with your project.-Jitney P.S. Where are you geographically? P.P.S. to our friend in Canada: Out here in Alberta if my feeble mind is correct we had a similar situation some years ago of someone who wanted to ride his horse into the closest town and would tie it up to a parking meter while he went into a pub for a beer.(snip) Could they get him for drunk horseriding?-J.
I do believe they could.
There have been numerous humerous types of stories on both sides of the border where people riding things like riding lawnmowers have been charged with D.U.I. type offences.
In this case because it is not a motorized vehicle they would probably have charged him with public intoxication.
When I was studying history in college, I remember reading old frontier-day diaries, and more than one story about dependable horses that knew the way home in the dark for their drunken riders. There was even one about a stolen horse that took his inebriated rider back to the horse's original owner...-Jitney

I've heard of several (several being a number larger than three but probably smaller than ten) cases of OUIL - Operating Under the Influence of Liquor - tickets being issued to persons on horseback, and the conviction stuck.
One was to a buddy of mine on Mackinac Island. You can also get an OUIL while riding a bicycle on the Island, though it usually takes being literally falling-down drunk to accomplish this feat.
I've never personally seen it, but local anecdotes suggest that if there were such a thing as a drinking amishman (wink wink, nudge nudge) and he were to hitch up his buggy and go out while schnockered, he could be dealt with exactly as a drunk driver.
And in our "leave 'em laughing" department:
What goes "Clip-clop clip-clop, bang-bang, clip-clop clip-clop, bang-bang, clip-clop clip-clop, bang-bang, clip-clop clip-clop?
Wait for it... . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . Here it comes... . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. A drive-by shooting in Amish country. (Or, as the tour drivers on the Island tell it, "on Mackinac Island")
--
Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
Short form: I\'m trashing EVERY E-mail that doesn\'t contain a password in the
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:45:23 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

*sigh* I was wondering when this tired old idea was going to come around again.
Horse drawn transportation is much more expensive than gasoline. Many trees died to publish all the research on this topic the LAST time gasoline got relatively expensive. Feeding and maintaining a work horse is vastly different than the pleasure horse(s) you apparently have now. I suggest doing some research before you go off making plans.
If you're interested in low cost local transportation, why don't you buy or build an electric vehicle conversion? Ignoring the econazi rants about zero emissions (it isn't, EVs simply shift the point of emissions to the power plant stack), an EV is probably the cheapest practical transportation out there that will keep you out of the weather.
A well designed amateur conversion will achieve an energy efficiency of from 500 to 600 watt-hours per mile. Electricity around here is 5.2 cents per kwh so the cost per mile would be about 3 cents, allowing for charging losses. You can do a conversion for less than it would cost to build a wagon. Maybe $4k for all new parts. Half that for used/carefully purchased parts. An even better deal is to buy an already-converted vehicle, as they have little resale value.
A small pickup (chevy S10 for example) is probably the easiest and most practical vehicle to convert because there is lots of room under and in the bed for batteries plus the bed can be used for actual work.
With the present state of the battery art, affordable EVs will go from 60 to 100 miles on a charge. Practical for most around-town driving.
I drive a small EV around town (see my web site) because I'm a cheap b*stard and because I don't like to drive my gas car on short trips. I have about $1500 in the car including motor and controller upgrades. I have a power meter on my charger and can verify the cheapness of this car's operation. Supercheap transportation. And no horse sh*t to shovel!
John
--
John De Armond

You dont need a "work horse" to pull a small buggy or carraige. The Amish use Standardbred horses almost exclusively, and they are the same sizr as the average pleasure horse (like a Quarter horse). I presrently drive a shetland pony on a small cart and he does fine, excrpt I would not go no 10 miles with him, and being small, would not drive him where there is traffic.
Mark

Mark, Check out Rural Heritage has all kinds of draft info. As for wagons and such We built a wagon on a Pioneer pony wagon frame last New Years weekend and use it regularly with a team of Haflingers @ about 950 lbs each. We drive to the closest local store just for fun every two or three weeks for breakfast on Saturday mornings It is about 6 miles and takes about an hour and a half. If this store had this store had more of the grocery, hardware , feed we neede I wouldn,t heitate to drive the team there to do our shopping.
Tim Union SC
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:17:39 -0400, "Tim Sigmon"

I just found that site and it's excellent. They got everything on there. Thanks for the info.
I have a Haflinger too. She's a 4yo mare. I picked her up at an auction as a yearling and she was half starved and scared to death. I got her for less than the cost of a tank of gas these days. Now she's fat, gorgeous and one of the sassiest horses I have ever owned. Originally I just wanted to help her out, because she would have ended up going to slaughter after that auction since no one wanted her. Now, I wouldn't give her up for any amount. I have more fun playing with her than any other horse I have ever owned. She just loves giving me her attention, and playing. I was told the Haflinger breed is this way in general. This is the first one I have owned, and aside from seeing them at horse events, I never knew about them. This little mare is my best friend. She is still a little scared, but there isn't a mean bone in her body, even though she does like to see what sort of mischief she can get away with. I plan to start harnessing her in the near future, and she also looks like she would be a comfortable riding horse. However, there is lots more ground work to do before I was to get on her back. I think she was abused before I got her, thus the fear....
Mark
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Use the best pneumatic tire trailer running gear you can get.
Be kind to your horse and your spine.
Welded steel tube makes for a lightweight frame for a small horsedrawn vehicle.
....Brock.
If your local library has no suitable books, the Smithsonian Instn. (Washiington DC) can probably help.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs