I need plans for horse drawn vehicles

Page 1 of 3
I need plans for horse drawn vehicles.
I am serious about this. With gas being in the $2.50 to $3.00 a gallon range, and likely to get much higher, I am looking for ways to avoid having to buy the stuff. I have already done all the usual things, such as tune up the car, properly inflate tires, use the car (which gets better milage), than the pickup truck, whenever possible, and avoid unnecessary trips to the store, etc.
All of this helps, but I want to cut back even more. Not only is my wallet suffering, but I am real tired of supporting these corrupt oil companies who are raping us financially. If oil is in low supply, why not limit us, rather then continually raising the price. I already know that limiting gas would not affect most average drivers, but would only affect those who waste gas with "performance" cars, large gas guzzling boats, and other unnecessary machinery.
Anyhow, my point in this message is not to discuss oil prices, but rather to find alternatives to using it. I already own horses, which until now were pets and for recreational riding. But in the past, before motorized vehicles, people relied on their horses for transportation. I think this is going to become a reality again for many of us. While I realize I will have to continue to pay these crooks for their oil if I need to travel distances, I know that half of my gasoline usage is for short trips to town. This is where a horse drawn vehicle would help. Whether it's a trip to the grocery store, or any other short trip to town, I can use the horse. I live in a rural area, and am about 5 miles from town. This is an ideal distance for a horse drawn vehicle, and a total 10 mile per day trip is not too much for the horse, and seems like it would be enjoyable too.
Therefore, I am looking for plans to build a horse drawn vehicle out of wood and the axel and wheels/tires from one of the old farm implements I got laying around. Does anyone know where to get some plans?
This message may not be exactly on topic to some of the newsgroups I am posting to, but is related.
Thanks
Mark
Horses can't draw.

You've never watched Mr. Ed, have you?
Hmmmm.
Yes, I stand corrected.
But there is still the issue of the horse needing to understand some fairly complex engineering principles. For example, to the horse, square wheels would probably seem a very good idea. Also, the plans the horse draws will probably call for humans to pull it, and horse to ride in it.
I'm sorry, but I must insist that the OP would be better off getting his vehicle specifications drawn up by a human. Horse drawn vehicles are simply too impracticle to be feasible.
impracticle?
Holy hell.
The enviro-mental nuts would go well........nuts, if everyone rode a horse. Imagine what the horse manure and methane gas would do to the environment? LOL
mike hunt
WOT DOES LOL MEAN
PUZZLED

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:45:23 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

How many miles do you get to a bale of hay and a bag of oats?
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

A Google search for horse buggy plans turned up lots of hits, including these:
http://www.mcinnisindustries.com/buggy.html http://tinyurl.com/9sg9k
It'd also be pretty easy to just start building one from scratch with some used mountain bike wheelsets - assuming you're not planning on carrying more than a couple or three hundred pounds.
THANK YOU For the Links

Adjusted for inflation, gasoline now costs less than it did 20 years ago. NPR, as I remember it, said three days ago that the cost of a barrel of oil in 1970 adjusted for inflation would be $90.00 today. I ran my own test, remembering gasoline as $0.35 per gallon in 1958. Adjusted for inflation, it would be slightly less than $3.00 per gallon today. TB
On 14 Aug 2005 14:44:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net wrote:

Doesn't matter. All that matters is how long did you have to work in 1970 to buy a gallon of gas and how long do you have to work now.

When I started driving in 1963 gas was about 25 and minimum wage was about !.37 per hour. An hour at minimum wage bought 5.48 gallons Good wages in a factory were about $4. skilled or management was about $5. Wages are maybe 6X that time, if that is true, gas should be $1.50. Minimum wage today buys 3 gallons.
Edwin Pawlowski said (on or about) 08/14/2005 18:37:

Where were you that minimum was that low? I started working a mere 4 years later (1967) in New York (State not city) and was paid $1.15 (which was less than minimum by $0.10 because I was under 18).

Could have been $1.15, but I thought it was $1.37 based on a couple of fact that I am sure of. That was in PA. I don't recall if is was the state or Federal minimum.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Oh, the !.37 was a typo. I thought it was a misplaced mark of emphasis.
--
"The career politicians are keeping the elevator at the penthouse
floor and not sending it down for the rest of us." - Kinky Friedman
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:20:26 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

I agree.
Based on 1970, I believe I paid around 40 cents a gallon. and the minimum wage was around $3.00 an hour (rounded figure). Now the price of gas is $3.00 a gallon, and the minimum wage is around $6.00 an hour. (also rounded). BIG DIFFERENCE !!!!
By those figures, in 1970, I could buy around 7 gallons of gas from one hours of wages. Now, I get 2 gallons from one hours of wages. (Using the "minimum wage" for wage figures). Once again, BIG DIFFERENCE !!!!
Mark

Garbage. The Federal minimum wage in 1970 was a dollar-sixty. It didn't go over three dollars until 1980.
http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/chart.htm
--
Regards,
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:52:58 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

OK, I was wrong. I can hardly remember what I did yesterday, much less 35 years ago. :)
However, even at the wage, gas is still much more costly today, based on minimum wage and price per gallon.
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:45:23 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

You do realize that horse will cost more per mile than any car you own, right? (feed, cleaning, vet, and maintenance...)
Get a bicycle! They are the most efficient form of transportation, do not polute, are fast (once you are in shape, a bicycle can be almost as fast as a car), low cost, low maintanance, etc. I probably bicycle twice as many miles every week than I drive.