I need ideas to keep vehicles off my lawn

Page 3 of 3

and
i was raised a "good ole boy" in the south, and in town, you respected another mans property (be it his home, car or woman) - lest, you get just what you suggest - a shotgun pointed in your direction.
it was a polite respectful community.
"an armed society is a polite society".
having said that, and having lived in St Augustine in the 80's (before the dark times, before the - developers)....you need to post a picture of the area in question.
before you can even do anything - do you have a legal right to the property in question ? (ie. can you claim control over it) if not, then it's a moot issue.
like complaining a pimp is parking their car of business in front of your row house in NYC.

What I would do is put boulders. Not too big, not too small. Too big, and people can trip and fall, and they are very expensive to buy and have placed. Too small,and people just drive over them anyway. The right size causes damage to the bottom of cars that ignore them or don't see them. Medium size boulders (large rocks, actually) should not be expensive or hard to find. Probably something you could do yourself.
Other than that, pour some concrete and insert some steel pipe and fill with concrete. Overfill the concrete so there's a round top of concrete past the upper lip of the pipe so water doesn't stand there and rust the pipe. More work, more money, hard to take out, hard to repair.
I'd do large rocks, and measure several cars to see how much clearance is needed. Then add just an inch or two.
That way, too, you are merely doing something decorative, and can claim there was no "intent" to harm anyone's vehicle if some bonehead DOES drive across them.
Steve

In all my life I've never tripped over a boulder: "Not too big, not too small" - BFG.
Fishing, I have slipped into the water....
-- Oren
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison
Wow! Did I ever get some help. Thanks all!
I'm going to start small. I have a concrete circle surrounding a tree in my lawn. The tree must go so that the roots do not invade the septic tank. So, I'll move the circle to that part of the land and plant some flowers. I believe this should work just fine.
Thanks again for all the input!

My b-i-l lived on a corner lot in a trailer park. He put up steel posts filled with concrete and had a chain across the tops. It looked decent and nobody cut across the corner anymore.
Mike D.

I've seen several houses around here (in areas without curbs) that have several posts in the ground (no fence, just the posts). They seem to be there to keep vehicles out.
Mark Lloyd wrote:

I'm curious if this is legal however... I thought that everything past the sidewalk was actually part of the street's right of way. not that I deliberately park on something that is obviously intentional grass, but I didn't know that that was part of the homeowner's property, and if it is not, what the ramifications are of him fencing or otherwise restricting access to it.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

My guess is none. The worst can happen is that the city will make him remove it, but they would have to notice it first and except where abnormal people rule, have a reason to make him take it down.
The person who parks on his grass isn't going to complain to the city, and the city won't look favorbably on a complaint by someone whose goal is to park on someone's grass.
I doubt he is the only one on that street who has put semi-permanent things on that part of the lawn. Even beaurocrats, normal ones at least, don't object to that.

Wow. Did I write that! I mean bureaucrats. ;)
TC wrote:

Combination lock wheel boot.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TIRE-LOCK-BOOT-TOW-TRUCK-WRECKER-ALPHA-WHEEL-LOCK_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33720QQihZ002QQitemZ120091247728QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Or, I guess you could make your own.

Rocks, or mature trees. A 4 or 5" diameter tree will stop a moving car pretty quickly.
Rocks would be my choice. Spray Roundup on the nearby grass (when it's growing) and you won't have any trimming to do after a while.

Spike belt?
--
You can\'t PLAN sincerity. You have to make it up on the spot! -- Denny Crane

I had the same problem with people thinking my land is a park, or a swimin hole, I just shot at them well in there direction with a .22.
At the risk of starting a war, you could spray their entire yard with Roundup concentrate some night, late. After all, it's only grass.
I think the fence stakes sound like the best idea. The ones with the big round reflectors.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

We had the same kind of situation. I drove some really big nails through some 2x4s and laid them around the perimiter of the yard where they were parking. After a few flat tires, one on a cop car, they got the idea. One of them took me to court and the JP told him not to park on my 2x4s.

If someone tripped fell and got harpooned you would be on the news, not in a good way:(
this kid fell off his bicycle, and now look at him.
some nice pipes concreted in place, filled with concrete, with chains hanging between them, all painted a brite white.
make it a functional showplace

Is the strip of lawn a public right of way? Probably, given that it's on road side of the sidewalk. If that's the case, I don't think you're ALLOWED to impede access. Pave it.

Put up a sign that says Dog Shitting Area. I wouldn't want to step out of my car in a dog shitting area. But then at that, you could end up with everyone letting their dog shit there....:-(

a-ahahahahahaha.....LOL!