I need ideas to keep vehicles off my lawn

Page 2 of 3

mm wrote:

That would be asking for a lot more trouble, especially if it is legal to park there.

I thought we were assuming it wasn't legal to park on his grass.
I'm not suggesting putting it on automatic, only saying that it was on autmatic when they complain. The hose would have to be put out there when no one is parking on the grass.
mm wrote:

Turning every instance of thoughtlessness into an open war is too much trouble for me. If someone is going out of their way to park on my grass, it is a fairly sure thing that they will go out of their way in countless other ways to make me miserable. I have had neighbor wars with people who will stop at nothing, which is the difference between them and me .. some folks have no reason for existing other than to make other people miserable and impose their hostility and aggression on people they know will limit their own behavior.

so what kind of ink did you choose ? (you know, to paint "VICTIM" across your forehead).
last neighbor war i intervened in was for a friend. simple solution for inconsiderate neighbor - ski mask, 10 pm, steel pipe, beat neighbor senseless into bloody pulp..
Tony Soprano style... problem solved
something to be said for street justice
or has an old wild west law man once said "i never shot anyone that didn't deserve it"
mmo1 wrote:

OH, shoot, your IP says you are 6 states away and I could sure use your help on a matter that concerns me.

turn area into parking area with gravel asphalt etc. others cant park in your driveway.
I had a reoccuring problem like that here, expanded my drive, problem disappeared

Great solution. That eliminates the grass cutting chore too.

They even make infrared switched sprinklers, which would work fine on car engine heat.
http://www.bird-x.com/products/specifications.html
Bob

Wow, 95 dollars, but it is almost perfect for this job. (They might steal it, disconnect it, break it. )

(snip)
Depends on the area. In the areas I have dealt in, that was only true for highways and state roads. In subdivisions, the property actually went to the center of the street (the legal street on the plat, not always the same as the paved street.) The city or whoever had an easment for an improved street for through traffic. (And they would sure as hell assess you for your share of the repaving costs...) You couldn't put up any structures or car-stopping trees in their easement, of course. Mailboxes were supposed to be break-aways, but that was seldom enforced, unless some fool put up one of those huge brick things. Like several folks have said, only way to be sure is to find (or recreate) the corners, and see what the deed, plat, and probably the subdivision plat, say.
aem sends....
TC wrote:

I like the reflector idea, but how about a sign "Parking on grass $15.00" ? Also how about a small tree?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

You own the property between the sidewalk and the street?

My (rather tenuous) understanding is that I own the property but the city has an easement so I can't do anything for real in there. The township assessor agreed with that when asked about whether I was paying property taxes. I have a big lot on a corner so the difference might have been interesting.

Where we lived, the township owned, I believe, a 15 or 20 foot swath of land next to the road, and some people planted bushes on that land and some people planted them back 15 feet. Those who planted on land they didn't own knew they would have the bushes cut down if the road was widened. It's been 50 years since I moved there and it still hasn't been widened. And the road isn't that much busier than it used to be. Either that or it's not that busy, but is busier.
Everyone planted grass, which seems to me to show as much dominion as planting bushes or trees. They can all be torn up when one wants.
And everyone put out mailboxes on posts, which pretty much have to be close to the road.
Of course YMMV.

Do you have the plat? Are there markers? My property starts about 4' from the street. I do maintain the grass and my mailbox is in that part but it is clearly marked with an iron in in the corners and no, it is not mine. YMMV
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

This varies a lot depending on jurisdiction and happenstance. I own the sidewalk in front of my house, and the land beyond it to the curb. But code requires me to maintain the sidewalk.
Later this year, the city will be putting in new sidewalks, this time on city-owned land, and the old sidewalk through my property will be decommissioned. My lawn gets bigger, and the city takes over sidewalk ownership and maintenance.
No change in code, just how the street improvement designs worked out this time.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/

Large rocks work great. If you don't want to trim around them use an irregular shape of mulch or ground cover with edging. Or, perhaps a simple sign "Please keep off the grass" may work.

The fix would have been to nip this in the bud and not let it go on so long.
Maybe a more persuasive and frank discussion with some eye contact. Not a walk-by "don't park there". Invite the guy over for a beverage. Once he is in your space he may open to your reasoning. Maybe not, though.
-- Oren
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison
TC wrote:

Ah feel your pain, but...
If I were faced with your problem I'd consider giving up on being able to admire unblemished grass there and changing it over to crushed rock or something similar which can be driven and parked on without much disturbance or damage.
Sometimes you just have to give in and "Not expect anything from a pig but a grunt."
Anything you deliberately put there which might be considered a "man trap" could get you into more grief than the problem's worth.
Just my .02,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia